Author Topic: Interesting info about TBIII glue  (Read 5218 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Interesting info about TBIII glue
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:20:11 am »
Tenbrook and I had a discussion today on TG about the effects of heat on different glues. I mentioned about calling the TB folks and that is how I found out about TBIII releasing at 150deg(F). Tenbrook stated that he had also called the TB folks and asked about heat curing TB glue to make it stronger. Both answers seemed to contradict each other so Tenbrook called TB today to ask again and here was his reply to me...

"Okay just got off the phone with titebond....Sounds like we are BOTH right. 

TitebondIII deos soften at 150 degrees.

However when heated above 150 (160-180 degrees) then allowed to cool it activates a secondary cross-linking in the glue making it SUPER strong! After it has been heated to temps between 160-180 then allowed to cool it becomes so strong and impervious to heat it will not come apart when soaked in boiling water (they actually test for this).

Hope this helps and happy hunting! "

Tenbrook
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lemos

Re: Interesting info about TBIII glue
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:33:19 am »
I saw that on the other post. Thanks for the update. Now I'm going to cook my bows, if I ever get to gluing any up. Now off to find a long skinny oven😃

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 12:37:50 am »
TBIII releasing at 150deg(F).  Would it get that hot in a car. ? This is my question. Umm in our parts it  rarely gets up to 95dg. Even then I would stay out of the sun.
Seriously is this a real concern..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 01:02:26 am »
You should never keep a braced bow in a hot car, FG or wood. Even sitting in direct sunlight can cause a dark bow to absorbe enough heat to loosen the glue. You just have to be aware to prevent problems.
 Tenbrook said he had only glued risers together and didn't know how glueing on backings or multi-lam wood bows would work with heat treated TB glue. I guess a few experiments are in order.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:23:00 am »
Hmm that's pretty interesting
I like osage

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:33:44 am »
hmmmm, I bet I can get my hot box to 160 to 180 degrees.

A few questions"
If the glue gets harder, does it become more brittle?

Does the "melting/tempering process allow it to be better at "gap filling"?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 03:09:00 am »
Very Interesting Thread!

Thank You for posting it Sir...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 04:21:56 am »
Interesting indeed thanks for the info sirs!  :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 04:44:15 pm »
Thnaks for the heads up. As a matter of fact many years ago I had a compostie Tennis racquet sitting on the rear window ledge during a hot summer day, It warped to smitherings, looked like a pretzel.... :o
It was a top of the line racquet at the time, in todays dollars would cost $350.00
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:17:07 pm »
Hedgeapple, that is to be determned!  ;)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 10:04:18 pm »
Thanks for passing that tidbit along Pat!  I know a few folks who use it for bamboo flyrods and that some folks decry the 150 degree softening info but I am not sure I've ever heard mentioned that it goes into a secondary bonding at the 180 degree mark.  I was hesitant to use it for my bamboo rod building project but knowing this I may indeed give the TB3 a try.  Thanks again!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline country

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:10:35 pm »
So what would the process be....??... glue it..let it dry,then reheat it or heat the glue up before using it?

Offline Hamish

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 10:51:32 pm »
I had a riser start to lift at the fade. I decided to remove it with a heat gun. I can tell you it wasn't easy to remove, it seemed to take an hour, lots of heating, way way too hot to touch with a bare hands, prying underneath the original lift with a thin knife to increase the opening. It eventually came off but it was much much tougher than I had expected. Reglued with urac instead of TB111. I have loosened chair legs glued with white pva(not titebond), and they seemed to release quite easily, after a minute or so of heating.

I would be wary of specifically heat treating post glue up without the stave still being clamped, so the edges won't lift. It might be touch and go with a finished bow, it depends on how careful and lucky you were.

I don't think you would have any problems about having the bow in a car closed up on a hot day, providing it has a chance to adjust to the outdoor temperature first before bracing. Leave it under a shady tree for 1/2hr or so. Definitely not a good idea to store an unstrung bow in a car over a long period. I hear about people doing this from time to time, and they tend to delaminate.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 02:59:25 am »
Like Hedgeapple, I would be concerned about flexibility and brittleness of the glue.....But this is very interesting indeed. :) Thanks!  :)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 03:36:04 am »
The glue can't be 'brittle' it is a few microns thick in a good glueline. Get just about anything thin enough and it will bend. My advice is to not even think about 'gap filing' properties of titebond....because they are non-existant. ;) Gap filling of glues is quite a complex subject.
It's interesting to know these things but to be honest there is no need for any 'extra strength' in my eyes. Just get the mating surfaces nigh on perfect (essential) and then glue up using good technique and you will have no problems.