Author Topic: Beaver tail grip?  (Read 9891 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Beaver tail grip?
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »
Any advice for forming/stretching a beaver tail around a slightly contoured grip? I picked up a nice dried/fleshed tail and want to use it on a recent bow.

Thanks
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Beaver tail grip?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:56:08 pm »
Dunno, but most rawhide and leather gets softer and more elastic in water... and shrinks as it dries.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Will H

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 03:09:10 pm »
I've done one before pearly. It ain't that bad. Soak it for a long time to get it somewhat pliable. It's going to shrink quite a bit so make sure you allow for that. I would wrap it in the dished area of the grip with something like intertube or fabric. The one I used was pretty thick to start. I purposely left it a bit thick where the stiching goes for strength and scraped the rest down feathering the outer edges on the belt sander. Seems like I degreased as well with some dishwasher soap while soaking rinsing it clean before applying it to the handle. Good luck brotha. They wear like iron ;-)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 04:33:32 pm »
Thanks Willis. Ill give it a go man. As picky as I am? I doubt Ill ever get it just the way I see it in my minds eye. Probably end up yanking it off and stretching some cattle leather around it. But boy oh boy does a beaver tail grip look sexy done right.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 05:31:06 pm »
Follow Will H's advice and it will turn out ok.  Use Dawn dish soap to wash the hide and scrape as much of the fat off it as possible, but be careful not to tear it because it is kind of thin.  It will shrink some too as it drys.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:25:52 pm »
I don't have any experience with them but I'd love to try one some day. The ones that i've seen look good but I personally don't like the raw, ragged edge hanging off on either end. If it was mine I'd do a leather lace wrap on the edge of the top and bottom to make a better transition from handle to wood. I think that would look sharp. Eager to see what you come up with.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:37:48 pm »
They're thin but wear well. Use a piece for the arrow plate and it will look like new for a long, long time.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:30:44 pm »
Here's one I did on my Ol fencepost bow from a few years back. Not really that contored of a grip but might be some inspiration for ya. I'm sure you can do it better ;) IMHO the tanned beavertail you can get like you see on some black widows looks and feels alot better. I got some from big Jim last year. I mostly just use it for strike plates cause I'm partial to my own buckskin leather for grips anymore... ::) anyway, good luck with it buddy :)

Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:35:38 am »
Thats about all Im covering as well Will, no locater on this one. I noticed the tail end is slightly thinner and more flexible than where it joins the body. This tail is just fleshed and made rawhide, no tanning.

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 09:35:01 am »
The one I used was dried as well, I soaked mine in warm water with Dawn dish soap and then scrapped the fleshy part with a spoon until I got as much fat out as I could then cut it to size and sewed it on.  I did glue mine on but honestly with a dried one I don't think you would have too because of the shrinkage it will be very tight when it drys.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline tenbrook

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 09:43:30 am »
Here's what you do.

1)Cover the handle in plastic wrap to protect from moisture.

2)Soak the Beaver Tail in warm water for 10 minutes.

3)Remove from water and pat dry then wrap tightly around the handle stretching it to conform around the curves of the grip. Get all the wrinkles out then wrap tightly with plastic wrap.

4)Come back in two hours and remove everything.

5)Let the tail dry 24 hours then trim to size.

6)Glue on with "Barge Cement" and lace up.

SUPER EASY!

Here is one I just did the other day.

What do ya think?

"Indian makes small fire, sits close.
White man makes big fire, sits far away."

- Stalking Wolf

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 10:45:36 am »
Sounds easy enough. I dont have nearly the curves to conform to as yours does. Ill give it a go, thanks.

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 11:34:00 am »
Makes for a. Beautiful handle!  Can't wait to see how hours turns out Pearl.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 08:30:31 pm »
Hey Pearl,
I skinned a tail once...............lots of grisel and fat.  when I got it all flesched out it was pretty thin.  I used it as rawhide and did a grip on a hickory bow.  Just be real careful if you use it as rawhide, I soaked it and applied it to the grip.  when stitching it up, the holes can tear out real easy.  but once dry makes a real nice grip.  Can't find my camera now, but I'll try and post some later.
BDar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
That is a great looking handle tenbrook! Good luck pd and post some pics when u get done.