Author Topic: First Arrow Set - Bamboo Canes  (Read 3931 times)

Offline MartinHeZ

First Arrow Set - Bamboo Canes
« on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:04 am »
So I bought some bamboo canes from a local store, and put some work in to making arrows, although they could be a lot better, I learned from making them.

Not 100% primitive as the wrapping is dental floss  :-[ and I the only arrow head I made was from a piece of half pipe I had spare, but the next set will be made with my very own nettle cordage, so I shall redeem myself.

Well here you go.

Offline JeremiahVires

Re: First Arrow Set - Bamboo Canes
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:21:26 am »
Purdy fletchings.  What are they?
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:22:33 am »
Dyed goose feathers.

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:48:42 pm »
they look good . did you dye the feathers your self. if so what type of dye did you use ?

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:31 am »
Got the feathers from a friend who's really into arts and crafts, they dyed them for me, I know they get the feathers for free from a local poultry farm, I'll be getting them straight from there next time :)

Offline Skorpio79

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
These look really nice!
Remember to give good, tight wraps at the knock...that cane will split like nobody's business!

I really like the blue fletching.
UVA UVAM VIVENDO VARIA FIT

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:26:29 am »
These look really nice!
Remember to give good, tight wraps at the knock...that cane will split like nobody's business!

I really like the blue fletching.

Thanks, I loved the blue as well, and yeah, I did one of the wrappings a bit loose, and of course the knock and split. But I see it as learning, I'm going to try and make some arrows from local shoots next though, I don't like the bamboo all that much, but it's readily available thanks to local stores.  ::)

Offline Skorpio79

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:24:33 pm »
You're always learning, that's the key! And the best part about learning is you never run out of new things!

I am down to only five rivercane arrows now. At one time I had 5 or 6 half-dozens in bamboo quivers. As friends got married or had big events in their lives I would give them away in sets. They won't be shot, only displayed on the wall. The point of telling you this is that even if you make a set that isn't quite ready for grizzly hunting, you will still learn and they can still be used. Maybe just used as a gift, instead!

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:24:03 pm »
I'm in the UK, so I'm not aloud to hunt anything, ever. Well not with a bow anyways, although if I go buy a pellet riffle I can hunt want I want, annoyance.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:09 pm »
  Those are snazzy looking. What did they dye the feathers with? And your cane looks like Tonkin Bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Skorpio79

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:30:26 pm »
I'm in the UK, so I'm not aloud to hunt anything, ever. Well not with a bow anyways, although if I go buy a pellet riffle I can hunt want I want, annoyance.

Sorry they won't let you hunt over there, bud. On a lighter note, a set of my south Georgia rivercane arrows resides in Clevedon, North Somerset  :P

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 07:17:28 am »
  Those are snazzy looking. What did they dye the feathers with? And your cane looks like Tonkin Bamboo.
Not a clue mate, didn't care to ask at the time, just saw them and thought "ooooo pretty!" lol will ask her when I get the chance.

Sorry they won't let you hunt over there, bud. On a lighter note, a set of my south Georgia rivercane arrows resides in Clevedon, North Somerset  :P
Yeah, and where I live there's a VERY large population of rabbits, to the point of every time I step outside my door I pretty much stand on one, see at least 10-15 every time I go anywhere, and every time I come back. Surely they wouldn't miss one or two, I might make a sling shot just for the sake of the rabbits...

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 11:49:38 am »
If you intend to eat them... I suggest you DON"T hit the stummick...
That goes for any animal.
I think a 1/2 inch ball bearing from a high-power slingshot would dispatch a rabbit effectivly. But I dunno... never shot a rabbit with one before.
For that matter I haven't shot a rabbit with anything yet.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 02:05:42 pm »
If you intend to eat them... I suggest you DON"T hit the stummick...
That goes for any animal.
I think a 1/2 inch ball bearing from a high-power slingshot would dispatch a rabbit effectivly. But I dunno... never shot a rabbit with one before.
For that matter I haven't shot a rabbit with anything yet.

A sling shot and ball bearing will smack them dead as a door nail. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MartinHeZ

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 08:01:54 pm »
Yeah I already know a little bit about rabbits, skinning, butchering, eating. My cat brought one back home one night, so we decided instead of just throwing it in the bin, best thing to do was eat it. Unfortunately my cat was hit by a car not long ago :(

Also there's an old train track not far from my house that has a huge number of little iron ball bearings that I used to get for my slingshot as a kid, I already know they will take out a rabbit, definitely took out pigeons back then, and they made a damn good pie :P Had an awesome grandad.

This is going way off topic though, so let's rain it back in a bit lol