Author Topic: 11th Tennesse Classic.  (Read 444402 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 11th Tennesse Classic.
« Reply #540 on: March 11, 2008, 10:18:25 am »
Ya Dana ,Lenny or Gary Davis I am sure will be glad to demo it.He is the one that showed
us how ,and maybe Lenny also.Greg is also good at them.I can do it also but mine are
pretty rough. :) and Okra ant imported at least not here. :) I get the pickled one by the case
at Sam's 6 gallons.Ya yum. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #541 on: March 11, 2008, 11:50:34 am »
Sounds good Pappy the splicing demo , not the pickled okra ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

CastIron

« Reply #542 on: March 11, 2008, 01:10:35 pm »
I've had lots of turnip greens, ate mustard greens and poke salad before, but don't remember collard greens although I may have had them and just didn't know it. Okra by itself is best fried in my opinion, but probably would be good when combined in a gumbo.
I didn't catch on to the "ditch lizard" either until Cast Iron clued us in...he's pretty quick on his feet. ;) I've had aligator before and really liked it...looking forward to having some of that gumbo! ;D
Lookin' forward to it! ;)

Just shows Greg doesn't always look at what he eats since he has been eating Gumbo with okra in it for several years now at the club  >:D >:D

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #543 on: March 11, 2008, 03:20:02 pm »
Okra by itself is best fried in my opinion, but probably would be good when combined in a gumbo.
Just shows Greg doesn't always look at what he eats since he has been eating Gumbo with okra in it for several years now at the club

I guess I was right then...okra is good in a gumbo! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #544 on: March 11, 2008, 03:24:58 pm »
Dana, I'm sure Gary would be glad to give a demo on splicing if we can get a couple of billets worked to a grain...might be a good task for you. Pappy and I might even donate the osage billets for a splice if you want to take them to a grain. Your reward would be a roughed in splice bow.  ;)   If Gary for some reason can't demo the splice, I'll do it although I'm a little rusty...haven't done one in a while now. :)
Greg

Offline DanaM

« Reply #545 on: March 11, 2008, 03:54:20 pm »
Sure why not to dat I have chased the ring on one osage and a black cherry for practice, but heck the worst I can do is mess it up eh.
I've been wanting to try splicing but would like to see it done once. Being self taught so far Its going to be great to get together with
you folks and see how you do certain things compared to my way. Doesn't necessarilly have to be osage, white wood would work just fine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #546 on: March 11, 2008, 07:23:27 pm »
Sounds good Dana, we have quite a few billets of osage so it shouldn't be a problem to come up with a set. We can help you out with chasing a grain if you'd like, but I'm sure you'll do fine.

I pretty much swap between a scrapper and drawknife when chasing a grain. I use a scrapper to redefine where the higher grain is by cleaning up where I just finished working with the drawknife. The scrapper can also work up a ridge showing the upper grain across the width of the stave, making it easier for the drawknife to grab and remove it. :)
Greg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #547 on: March 12, 2008, 06:45:11 am »
Great ,we found a job for Dana.  ;) ;D That sounds good.I have a couple of sets ready if you
mess up Dana.Chasing a ring ant hard ,once you have done a couple.I am sure you can handle
it.It's getting close and I am getting excited.  :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #548 on: March 12, 2008, 07:46:02 am »
Yer getting excited Pappy just think how I feel, I get to leave the cold behind for a month ;)
Of course with my luck it will snow in TN and be 80 up here  ::) I better bring my chook just in case ;)

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: March 13, 2008, 06:45:16 am »
Not likely to snow ,but you never know in Tn. But more than likely rain.Got 3 more loads of
gravel coming today.We are doing all we can do to at least make yall confrontable.  ;) :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #550 on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:47 am »
Got 3 more loads of
gravel coming today
We keep filling that hollar up with gravel, and there won't be any bare ground left for deer food plots! ;D
Greg

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #551 on: March 14, 2008, 03:02:31 pm »
OldBow is going to get to meet all you guys. Looking forward to it. I've got my motel, car, and plane reservations all set.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #552 on: March 14, 2008, 03:57:39 pm »
Everybody keeps talkin about rain! I'm trying to get away from that nasty stuff. Been raining 7 days straight! Life in the Northwest. Now guys just tell me it will be warm and above 60.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Bishop

« Reply #553 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:54 pm »
Pappy
i may be showing my ignorance and im no expert on camping, but how does gravel and comfortable go together, i might need a thicker sleeping pad... the hotel is sounding better and better... ;D
Bishop

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2008, 02:21:19 am »
Bishop, I'm guessing the gravel is on the road and maybe where a camper will park.  ;D  You ain't woosing out that easily!!!
David, This is East Coast rain we are talking about. Quite different than that North West Coast mist! ;D
The difference is, over here it rains, then it stops. Over there is it goes from October to May. ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC