Author Topic: Ash bow  (Read 4004 times)

Offline woodcraft

Ash bow
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:36:04 pm »
Hey all, I'm new here.  I just thought I'd show you my work.  This is my second bow.  It's ash, 70" ntn, draws 50# at 28".  I know the tiller is off, hopefully I'll nail it on my next bow.  The arrows are just made from dowels from the hardware store, and I made them before I knew enough about spine and all that.  I made a spine tester now and they are all way different spines, so now I am trying to figure out the right length/point weight combination to get them to shoot straight from my bow.  I'm learning! 

Anyways, thanks for looking!  Feel free to shout out advice.  Thanks  :)

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Ash bow
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:51:16 pm »
Welcome Woodcraft, good to have you joining in. That a fine looking bow and if only your second I think we'll be seeing some more
nice bows from you in the future. :) Your tiller on this one looks good to me, I've never made one that long but I believe you got it bending in the right places for a bow of that length. Hows it shoot?
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Ken S

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:48 pm »
The tiller looks great from were I'm sitting. :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:17:05 pm »
Looks good to me. Not sure  where you think you went wrong on the tiller ???  Do your arrows shoot well with the bow?

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:26:27 pm »
Great little bow & arrows.  Notice how Ash, Hickory and Oak have similiar grain structure.. ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline woodcraft

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:44:21 pm »
Thanks guys!  It shoots silky smooth, it's a little slow probably due to the 4 inches of set (yikes) it has taken.  I think it had too high of moisture content when I was tillering.  As for the tiller, I guess I thought the lower limb bends in a different spot than the upper limb.  I don't know, maybe I've just been looking at it too much.  That's why I decided to just finish it and start another one :)

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 11:11:27 pm »
Good looking bow!  Tiller looks great to me.  Yeah, you may be right about the moisture being a factor on that much set.  It is hard to wait for a stave to dry completely, isn't it?  I have started working them down to floor tiller and just throwing them under the bed for a month or so.  When they stop loosing weight, they are ready.  Welcome to the addiction.  I feel like we will be seeing lots of bows from you in the future.  :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:48:08 pm »
"and start another one", that's the only cure when you're not happy with what you got ;). Looks good from here, nice job with the arrow fletching too!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:19 pm »
Yea 4 inchs of set is excessive but the bow overall doesn't look to bad at all
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2013, 12:19:23 am »
   The bend looks good but you could bring the bend in the top limb down closer to the handle.
Welcome to PA. Looks like you'll fit right in.  8) Now go start another one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:40:19 am »
Nice 2nd bow for sure! I think the bend looks pretty darn good. Given that it's 70" and only 50# it definitely sounds like moisture was the culprit for the set. it sure is hard to be patient when you're getting started. Just wait, soon you'll have such a giant collection of seasoned wood that you'll never have to worry about having wet staves again. The only thing you'll have to worry about is your wife getting tired of all the wood lying around.  >:D

Offline DuBois

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 02:10:48 am »
Very nice work and welcome. I really like Ash. Hope to see more  ;)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 08:06:04 am »
I don't see the tiller concerns. Looks to be bending pretty good to me, especially if it were my second. Good job! Might let it dry more and steam/clamp to a caul with reflex to reduce set.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 08:54:48 am »
Nice 2nd bow for sure. Welcome to PA!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 10:05:21 am »
Tiller looks good to me.  Better than a lot of mine.  Reverse string it a few inches and temper.  Might get your set lessened up some.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.