Author Topic: Fish and Game Mountain bike  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Stickboy

Fish and Game Mountain bike
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:38:52 pm »
A little while ago, I came across a magazine article about using a mountain bike to get to and from camp when hunting, the author going in direct opposition of the recent trend of hunting from ATV's. With a little research, I found that several hunters and fishers, primitive and otherwise, were using MTB's for the same purpose (one guy had actually rigged up a litter to haul his deer out of the woods with his bike). Since I have some extra bike bits laying about, I decided I'm going to build a "Fish and Game MTB" of my very own, and wondered if any of my fellow primitive-minded archers have used a bike in a similar fashion? If so, what's been your luck? Any advice on set-up, particularly in the area of rigging a bow rack to the handlebars? Any thoughts or stories are welcome!

The frame is painted a few degrees of camouflage colors, but not in that pattern; all chrome is blacked out (or will be); and I've painted up my single-wheel bike trailer to match. I'll post up some pictures of the process so far when I get the camera attached to the computer.
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Fish and Game Mountain bike
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 02:53:50 pm »
Excellent idea!  For several years I used to get passed in the dark by a guy on a mountain bike going out to hunt turkeys in the wee hours before dawn.  I know he was getting in much deeper and earlier because I never ran into him hunting.  Always wondered how he did.  It was a little unsettling the first time I heard his quietly coming up behind me, he'd whistle softly to let me know he was coming up and say "on your right" to give me time to step aside. 

Post some pics of your game trailer when it's done!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »
Will do! The game trailer's actually an old BOB Yak I bought about seven years ago, and used it hauling groceries and furniture, and other miscellaneous stuff in college. Under the new paint (gives it almost a WWII look), I think it'll serve nicely repurposed for hauling game.

Everything should be painted up and functional -- with the exception of a few accouterments -- by Tuesday. I'll post the build photos then.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 04:02:18 pm »
Then comes the task of riding rough trains to see what rattles and figuring out how to silence it!  Be sure to load her down with sandbags so you find out how she stops on long and steep downhills!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:32:54 pm »
I've been using one for years down here. I have a set of ATV gun racks on the handle bars. I also have a little, modified, trailer that is for little kids to sit in with a little canopy over it($10), Flea Market. It is great for hauling in tree stands before the season if you hunt Public Land like I do.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 08:20:07 am »
I converted a cannon dale into a trail bike to ride to hunting spots . Camo painted everything and even had a two wheeled kid carrier that attached to the rear sprocket mount. It was great for riding the field edges and even along the river bank hauling decoys to duck hunt with. Tough to use in weedy places or thick brush.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 08:23:37 am »
Would love to see some pictures of these bikes. ;)

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:10:38 pm »
@Mullet, the ATV gun racks are exactly what I was thinking of for mounting to the handle bars. Especially the kind with a groove for bow limbs. If I can manage to rig up something without spending the money, I would prefer it, but I haven't figured anything out yet. Were they hard to mount? Did you have to use any shims or anything?

The two-wheeled trailers have some definite drag issues when riding through tall grass, and tend to wedge easily in narrow areas. They're also prone to flip if they hit a bump too fast. I use one to haul the trash down to the road, and to cart my daughters around the yard to keep in shape for hauling gear and/or game when I try out the rig in the Fall. The single-wheeled trailers are a lot more maneuverable and easier to get through rough places (and they don't notice the tall grasses that much).

Bike and trailer are painted up now, and assembly of the bike is underway, minus a gun rack and beam rack for a fish cooler. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow when I have a stable internet connection.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:55 pm »
I'll take a picture of the rack mounted when I get home from work.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 01:11:41 pm »
If I can figure out how to attach them, here are some pictures of what I have so far. The trailer is finished, but the bike itself still needs a bit of assembly and additional tidbits; but you can get an idea of where I'm going.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 03:40:34 pm »
 8) I've had such ideas too.  Looks good! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 08:35:39 am »
Thanks! I worked on it a bit more after work yesterday; put the bar ends and brakes on, levers and shifters. If I manage to find a seatpost to fit it, it should all come together pretty quick.

With the bar ends, it looks like it has tusks, so I think I'm going to call it the "BrackenBoar" :)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 02:46:05 pm »
I have a mountian bike that I go everywhere on. You can lash stuff to the handlebars, you can tie short pieces of stuff to the frame, and sometimes you can draw big light objects like bush if you are ok with them getting abraded by grass and pebbles...
Its rather hard to pedal though.. and the objects must be LIGHT.
I like the trailer idea.
I can carry a 4" log 70" long on a bike, and if I lash it correctly, i can carry 2 40" sections of 6 inch on the frame and 1 section of 70" on the handlbars.

Its not super diffucult... but it can be hard to steer and you need wide trails. Also if you are experianced biking with one hand you can carry  a bundle of arrow-shoots in one hand.
Max load is about 1/2 my weight.

I dunno about dead animals though.
Bikes are fast, safer than an ATV, and IMO are much easier to use and also are cheaper...

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 04:04:04 pm »
Here's how mine is mounted. I picked them up at Tractor Supply. I can carry my bows, fishing rods, or guns with out a problem.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Stickboy

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 11:50:38 pm »
For a few years there, I rode nothing but a bike while I lived in town. I've hauled from groceries, to furniture, to pushmowers on a trailer behind it (I even hauled my sister and her wheelchair around in a kid trailer when she came to visit, lol) -- but that was all sidewalks and roads, and the occasional grassy hill. Fields and woodlands are going to be a trial of a whole nother kind of beast! I've still been hauling my kids around the yard to get used to the terrain; when this bike's done, I'm going to throw a punching bag in the trailer and pull it on some hiking trails and through woods to get a feel of it.

Mullet -- those racks look great. What sort of rattle does your gun make when you're riding?

Update: Installed crank and peddles last night; and found a seatpost to fit, and was able to put the saddle on. Tonight will be derailleurs, gearing, and brakes. If all goes well, I'll be hauling a punching bag around the yard tomorrow evening.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 10:26:05 am by Stickboy »