Author Topic: Question, is that a big giant ring violation on the back of this warbow?:  (Read 1938 times)

Offline toomanyknots

? That is what it looks like to me? I don't know, I guess it says something about the strength of hickory to hold together? Here is the ebay auction I saw this on:

For a 120# bow, I would think any ring violation would be a death sentence for the bow. Someone seriously could hurt their self.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:37:01 pm by Pat B »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline WillS

If that was yew it would probably be fine, but it does look a tad risky.  That being said, it's right in the handle, so it probably isn't under enough stress even at 120# to cause a problem.

Horrible grip though, and very un-warbow like.  I prefer the look of the quilted maple used as a background  ;)

Offline adb

Who made the bow?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
No comment on that backing, but I would have steered clear of this one.  Who uses a B-50 string on a 120 LB war bow?  And why wouldn't he post a full draw, or at least a braced photo?

Also one of his other bows that he's selling as an "authentic looking" yew look-alike is only 64" long.  Seems a little short to be calling authentic to me...

Offline adb

100#@28"... 120#@31" ??? ???.  20# in 3" ??? ???.  Not bloody likely. Does the seller offer a warranty? If not, I'd walk away. You can make a better bow than that... I've seen it!! IMHO, hickory is crappy belly wood.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 03:01:13 pm by adb »

Offline toomanyknots

No comment on that backing, but I would have steered clear of this one.  Who uses a B-50 string on a 120 LB war bow?  And why wouldn't he post a full draw, or at least a braced photo?

Also one of his other bows that he's selling as an "authentic looking" yew look-alike is only 64" long.  Seems a little short to be calling authentic to me...

I'm thinking he might be like a kid or something. Or he needs to hang around here a bit more often, :). Well, I don't know. I just thought it was crazy for a 120# bow with such bad ring violations! That thing is gonna go out with a bang I bet...

EDIT: Maybe I'm just jealous, seeing as I just broke 4 bows in a row before even remotely longstring tillering... and 2 were going to be maybe around 40#s?  :o.... (my hickory backings were oddly brittle and kept braking). And all those bows had perfect straight quarter sawn grain. And then this guy makes a 120# bow with a random flatsawn ring violation full backing!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 04:58:38 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
And then this guy makes a 120# bow with a random flatsawn ring violation full backing!  >:(

That could be why there is no full draw picture :)  Don't sweat it, you probably just had some bad wood.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
I've seen worse hickory backing on similar heavy warbows. I don't like it, but hickory is tuff as nails.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Hamish

I can't say for sure because the picture isn't clear, but it doesn't look like a big grain violation. The piece looks flatsawn, and that would be a very minor violation, that you get from lumberizing into a dimensioned backing strip, rather than a strip that is one growth ring on the back. I suspect if you could see the hickory grain on the sides of the bow it would be essentialy straight.
               Hamish.