Author Topic: Got through Basic  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Dictionary

Got through Basic
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »
I got through AF basic training. It was pretty easy really. I should have joined the Marines.......not. My ASVAB score was too high, so the Marines wouldn't take me  ;D.

I miss shooting and i was wondering, for anyone who is or was on Active Duty, how could i continue making and shooting especially since i'll be living in the dorms on base. I got 6 yrs ahead of me in the service and i don't really want to give up my hobby.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:17:15 pm by Dictionary »
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline H Rhodes

Re: Got through Basic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:34 pm »
Congratulations Dictionary!!  Way to go.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BryanR

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:57 pm »
Almost every base has a wood hobby shop, probably be able to store your in-progress project there as well.  Many bases have archery ranges also.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:12:09 pm »
It's great to hear from you again, Dic'.  I was wondering how you were doing, glad to hear you made the grade in Basic.  Do you have your first duty assignment yet?

Remember, if you get sent to Ellsworth in Rapid City, I'm here and you got access to my space to putz around in!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:48:26 pm »
Congrats Dictionary, that's something to be proud of!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:17:45 pm »
Congrats on making it through!
your ASVAB was too high?  I'm calling BS on that.  The marines want the best just like the other branches.

Nothing wrong with not wanting to be a grunt, and no shame in it.

As for continuing the hobby, I don't know... I can't even send my  bro a knife until he's completed his MOS school because the base's CO banned them.  When you finish all your training, you can always join a local archery club if you're stateside and locker your gear there, or talk with your officers and work something out for on base.  They can't all be jerks.

I'm sure there are active duty airmen that will chime in.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:37:00 pm »
Glad to hear you cruised through your basic training, hope the rest of your service time goes smooth too.
As far as continuing to be able to work on bows maybe procure a sapling or two and a pocket knife and a few other small tools if allowed. If you can get permission to store those small items you'll be back at making bows soon enough. Good luck Dictionary. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline NimRand

• USAF Retired (Displaced Michigander)
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 04:20:24 am »
As a retired AF Member, congratulations on Basic. Ya still have to get through tech school though. My suggestion for trying to continue to build while on the base is to first find out if they have an archery range or even a Rod and Gun club. Chances are going to be pretty good you can build a bow there. If this is not feasible, I would check into finding a local archery club, preferably traditional, or even a traditional muzzleloader club that has there own outdoor range/facility. There is a good chance you can build a bow there.

I still work for the Air Force and am aware of the rules for what is considered a weapon and what /where they have to be kept and stored. They changed the requirement to include all of base housing, not just the dorms, and anyone coming onto the base. Yeah, you will not be able to store a bow and arrows in the dormitory. It will be stored in the armory. You will have to arrange to sign it in and out. If you decide to get a hatchet to work on bows, you can't store it there. It again goes to the armory. I doubt there would be a problem with storing a drawknife, because it is not listed as a weapon but you will still have to ask. You will need to get the document each base has regarding weapons storage, transportation and use. As it has been said before always personally verify everything.

Below are excerpts taken from the Offutt AFB Privately Owned Weapons document to give you an idea of what to expect:

Prohibited Items:
   Any dagger, dirk, switchblade, butterfly knife, stiletto, or any other unusually dangerous instrument capable
   of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds is prohibited.  Knives with blades that exceed three and
   one-half inches are illegal to carry on or about your person unless actively engaged in fishing or hunting
   activities.

Trransportation of weapons on the installation:
   Unusually dangerous weapons usage (i.e., bow/arrow) is prohibited on base with the exception of sanctioned
   base events and the archery range.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 06:13:32 am »
Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »
Congrats.

Offline Frawg

• Mayan Apocalypse Survivor
    • N/A
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 02:35:14 pm »
Congrats! and thank you
Matt
Matt Bradley

Glade Valley, NC

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 04:22:14 pm »
Pekane i was just kidding about the Marines not taking me. Just cracking jokes on another branch.

It sounds like i'd have to jump a bunch of hoops to continue making bows on base. I may have to find a way to keep everything off base. I'll figure it out. I was that guy who used to sneak out at night just to cut wood. I will figure out a way.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 06:01:54 pm »
Use your head and stay out of trouble. Don't want to get the name for being that kid.  ::)

All the same, thanks for serving! You might not make a career of it, but you've already committed to do your part and I'm honored to call you brother.

US Army '94-'96

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 11:38:55 pm »
Pekane i was just kidding about the Marines not taking me. Just cracking jokes on another branch.
And here I was trying to not poke fun at the chair force ;)
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 12:20:27 am »
Congratulations, Buddy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?