Author Topic: "The Big Bear" osage self bow made from "The Monster Osage Tree"  (Read 16062 times)

Offline Squirrelslayer

Re: "The Big Bear" osage self bow made from "The Monster Osage Tree"
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 02:58:37 pm »
yep im going to start to use up as much of my road kill foxes as possible. e.g the hide for a project, the leg tendons for what little sinew i will get to use as thread, the jaw bones (if still intact) for knife handles. if im going to use an animal i won't just use it for it's skin. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 04:22:45 pm »
Very Very nice bow Kevin, I absolutely love those tips. Any chance you will be bringing this bow to the Hawkeye August trad shoot? I would love to see it in person and am going again this year.

Jon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 04:29:40 pm »
Congratulations on all accounts!!  8) 8) 8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 06:03:14 pm »
Will, I am sorry for the misunderstanding also.
I have to remind myself that people who are not exposed to the hunting lifestyle might not understand why hunters do the things that they do.
I have been asked many times if I eat what I kill and I reply that I have always been a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter but after thinking about it, I say that no longer , it is a misstatement, because all hunters keep something from thier kills to remember the animal and the hunt. Also there are many reasons to hunt that do not include food, in New Jersey and Ontario they stopped the spring bear hunt and nuisance complaints went up for bears breaking into cabins and houses looking for food, in California they banned the hunting of mountain lions and thier numbers increased, they lost thier fear of man and they started eating people. But mostly I am a hunter because it is part of my heritage.

Jon, Ask for me when you get to hawkeye for the Traditional Shoot and we'll go out and shoot a course together.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline bushboy

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 07:32:37 pm »
There are and estimate of between 25-30 thousand bears in manitoba alone and a average of about 1600 harvested yearly!  I have never met a canadian who hunts bears but are more likely to put one down if the bugger around the dog ,garbage,house ect.like any wild animal in a modern society sometimes there's a turf war and the bear almost certainly loses.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 07:38:06 pm »
Sorry,almost forgot"wicked bow bro"!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:08 pm »
I would like to say something more impressive than everyone else, but it's all been covered!
But...I will still throw my 2 cents in...
Let's see...WOW :o :o :o.
Everything bout that bow is sweeet. The carvings, excelant. That is some functional art!!!

Fantastic job.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 07:56:10 pm »
My love for bears has no equal so I hope you don't mind if I (someday) replicate your string nock :D

Excellent bow! A nice bear to boot. You should come to Oregon and bag one of our 300+lb bruins :)

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 08:50:46 pm »
Thank you again everybody for the kind comments.

Bryce, if you put a carved bear nock on one of your bows I would love to see it! 8)

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

owlbait

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02:22 pm »
Kevin, I had a chance years ago to hunt bear with my selfbow. I never harvested an animal with it until this year, when I was lucky enough to take a doe. The memory of hunts like yours will live long lifes and be told long after the bow and the bear are gone. I'm a lazy, unskilled self bow attempter, but even I can appreciate all the work, time, and energy you put into building your masterpiece. The bear bleeding nock is absolutely freakin' awesome! Thanks for sharing.,

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 10:54:40 pm »
Will, I am sorry for the misunderstanding also.
I have to remind myself that people who are not exposed to the hunting lifestyle might not understand why hunters do the things that they do.
I have been asked many times if I eat what I kill and I reply that I have always been a meat hunter and not a trophy hunter but after thinking about it, I say that no longer , it is a misstatement, because all hunters keep something from thier kills to remember the animal and the hunt. Also there are many reasons to hunt that do not include food, in New Jersey and Ontario they stopped the spring bear hunt and nuisance complaints went up for bears breaking into cabins and houses looking for food, in California they banned the hunting of mountain lions and thier numbers increased, they lost thier fear of man and they started eating people. But mostly I am a hunter because it is part of my heritage.

Jon, Ask for me when you get to hawkeye for the Traditional Shoot and we'll go out and shoot a course together.

Kevin

Sounds like a plan.

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2013, 09:53:33 pm »
Sweeeeet!!!! :)

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 01:04:43 am »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  Thats one heck of a bear bow!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 10:02:21 am »
Im glad you posted this Kevin. It deserves plenty of attention. I got to see it first hand and love it! The grip is a treat the minute your hand touches it.  Excellent work my friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 02:38:16 pm »
Nice job on the bow!