Author Topic: Birch bark ???  (Read 7340 times)

Offline DanaM

Birch bark ???
« on: November 13, 2007, 12:29:27 pm »
Anyone know how to seperate birch bark into thinner layers? I cut some this summer and dried it flat,
the layers don't want to seperate. Also how thin does it need to be for bow backing?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Birch bark ???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:16:09 pm »
Just peel the layers apart. The bark I backed some bows with was less 1/16" thick, this was just a decorative backing.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:00:02 pm »
Hi,
Birchbark makes excellent backing! Lots where I live. It's better if you seperate it right away, rather than letting it dry first. It seems easier to seperate the layers when it's still a bit "green." I've used it both thick and thin, glued on with TB2 or TB3. I think a thick enough layer would resist a splinter lifting on the back. The trick for me is getting pieces long enough and of good enough quality to back a limb.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 06:52:01 am »
I may have messed up by not doing it while still green, now tha it is dry it don't want to separate
guess I could try soaking it some.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 08:30:40 am »
I've seen the bark on dead trees bond together like that. You may have to soak the bark for a long time before it separates, it's waterproof
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 09:45:19 am »
Oh well live and learn eh.

Manistique, MI

Brokestick

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:33:10 pm »
I have to agree with Marc.  I've seen dry birch bark resist soaking for a long time.  That's why it's one of the best tinders to keep on hand :-\

Hartung

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 02:36:05 am »
Diana, I’m working with birch bark from time to time and am right now on a project involving birch bark. Birch bark can be quite tricky. To my experience you would need very thin bark right from the start from young trees. Remove the bark by cutting it in spirals around the tree if you know what I mean. Separating the bark into layers (without tearing the different layers apart) is not easy and is best achieved when the bark is very dry. But then you have to be careful not to break it. Soaking the bark will not help I guess. Soaking the bark for a long time is useful if one wants to make it pliable again but won’t help you to separate the different layers.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 11:21:07 am »
Thanks guys.

Manistique, MI