Author Topic: 12 footer  (Read 8767 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
12 footer
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:23:40 am »
Here it is.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: 12 footer
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:28:14 am »
Ver nice. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Drifter

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:53:50 am »
That's awesome!

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 10:35:41 am »
looks great!  been thinking of building one myself.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:41:36 am »
Sweet! Are you doing a buildalong?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:55:05 pm »
Make one yourself?.....A build-a-long?.....I'll answer both questions with one answer.Even though the native american built these with regullarity there are far too many measurements IMO to be making this and showing it.It's best to get your first from a dealer who gets the measurements exact for a tight fit which helps it withstand 50 mph winds.You better give it a tremendous amount of thought before getting material to make these.Otherwise you are just wasting your time & money.
BowEd
Ed

Online chamookman

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »
Cool ! I like the Willow Backrests - thanks for posting all the pics, really enjoyed them. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:23 am »
A little thing about setting up a teepee.When all the poles are in place and you begin to wrap the apex together,you wrap it 4 times around as the 4 winds & the sun turns while chanting Hi ya Hi ya Hi ya Hi ya.....LOL.There's a bunch of teepee etiquette that goes with owning one if a person wants to find out.You enter a teepee and go to your heart side to the left and never never walk in front of someone....LOL.Ceremonies done in them of which I've only been to one the pipe is never passed accross the door way to the other side.Always passed back the way it came to the place of honor at the mantle of sod taken out for the pit where the pipe owner sits.He fills it up again or relites it to pass around again.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:56 am »
One rendezvous story here...When dates are set for events mother nature does not see a calendar.Forecasts for bad weather never stopped me from going owning a teepee.At one rendezvous[The Cherrokee Ridge Runners] locally which I was a member of,a terrific storm [high winds & hard rain] came through about midnight.By 2:00AM I heard scratching on my door.My neighbors wall tent and A frame tent had gotten people wet[plus all of there bed wear].The next morning both tents were hung in the lower branches of trees.So though it is a little easier to set up wall & A frames,occasionally they are more work in the end.A teepee like this can be set up moved into in under an hour.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Matt B

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:43:20 pm »
jealous, I've been wanted one of these for a while, which dealer did you get it from? and I never thought of taking one camping! oh my what fun that would be   ;D

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 07:55:04 am »
    I don't own one but i've spent some fireside time in one during a small snow storm. Very impressed, very warm, didn't want to leave.
    very cool.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »
Matt B......The business's called Panther Primitive & RK Lodges come to mind.Mine was made by a fellow called John Honn[mud turtle] who was a buckskinner I knew.Googling those names should bring you up something.I'm sure there are many others too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Matt B

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 08:00:15 pm »
Thanks I'll have a look, don't have the property for one now, but maybe I should pick one up, because when I do end up getting the property, I will be broke :)

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:02:01 am »
Beadman,
yeah yeah you should know Lakotas do everything backwards  ;D
for us eastern and NE tribes ,all movement is COUNTER clockwise. Our dances and stomps are ALWAYS counter clockwise...the way the bean plant spirals
NOT the way the honeysuckle grows! when you dance counter clockwise the fire is always closest to your heart and your sash knot faces outside of the circle

But try to make those plains Indians understand?...its hopeless. >:D
For you who are now worried.... You gotta know our tribes tease the daylights out of each other.
unęh!
Sǫhahiyǫh
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 06:58:27 pm »
Nice! If you were to be living out of a tipi for an extended period of time, say a month or so, with one other person, what size range would you recommend?