Author Topic: My 2012 Trade Board Bow Progress(Sent!!!!)  (Read 8731 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: My 2012 Trade Board Bow Progress(Tips scary thinned)
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 11:20:28 pm »
You've come along way, Muffin.  That's a bow.  I have tru oil on ipe and it looks and acts great.   I would move the string grooves down away from the end of the tips a little. 

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 11:26:08 pm »
Shall i leave the originals in to keep it from looking all awkward?
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline steve b.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 11:40:21 pm »
First, get other opinions before you do anything.  Structurally you might be ok the way it is because your string angle will actually be greater than the angle that your groove shows, so your string will be pulling more downward on the tip I think.  Still, there's not much meat above your string groove. 
I personally would make the string groove the new tip of your bow by removing that horn of wood above the groove and cutting a new groove down lower.  But you don't have alot of overlay to play with so I might grind that one off and start anew.  In fact, I know I would put another on there.  But I don't want to sway you into going into something that may cause you to ruin your bow.  Because the tips are pretty thin up there now and you have to be careful about working there.
It depends on you.

Definately don't attempt something at this stage that you are not sure of. 

If its ok with you I'll post pics of my tips that i just did, on this thread tomorrow, and talk about it some more.?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 11:44:07 pm »
sure that would be great! id also like to hear from others as to what i should attempt or not attempt and what not. Its been shot and also brought all the way down to 27" so its doing pretty well. I know its kinda thin there but its only 40 lbs maybe 42 at 27"

Offline steve b.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:30 am »
Well since its a tradebow I would just leave it.  Your recipient is more than likely a decent bowyer and can fix it his/her self if so inclined.
I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, when it comes to tip size and overlays, but I know enough to add that there is NO practical reason to make small tips on a selfbow.  The only thing you add is the likelihood that they will get damaged.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »
as long as the string stays on and the tips dont torque one way or the other should be alright.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 06:46:46 pm »
Ok, then ill just let my recipient decide if the feel comfortable with it or not because it doesn't do any twisting of limbs

Offline steve b.

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2013, 10:58:41 pm »
Ok.  Here's some pics of my tradebow tips, unfinished.  Not sure why I'm posting these but just an excuse to post some pics of my tradebow:

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2013, 03:33:48 am »
those are what I kind of wanted to get, but it turned out a bit different. I've seen some tips that are so thin its just crazy. First person that comes to name guilty of thin tip disorder is blackhawk.     no offence there Chris, just pointing out that you seem to have the frenzy. Anyway, here is my progress, I used sharpie to mark all the stuff on the bow and then just rubbed tru oil on top after only a few minutes. I did put 2 coats of tru oil on before hand and afterwards i have one that's drying right now on top of the markings. i also have found this antler rack very helpful, it holds the bow without it touching anything but the tips, when i finish the main work ill go back and tru oil the tips to match. I hope you have enjoyed seeing me break 5 bows and coming up with one that works.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: My 2012 Trade Board Bow Progress(Home Stretch)
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:20 pm »
lookin goooooooood.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 03:50:42 pm »
Way to go, that's one cracker of a bow, Graham!  Somebody gonna be real happy to pull that outa the shipping box!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2013, 06:52:57 pm »
thanks guys, tomorrow I'm going to my fiends house to have him shoot it in for me because hes left handed, I've got arrows marked out exactly 26"

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2013, 06:58:28 pm »
  Skill and talent can only carry one so far.  Dogged determination is what I find to be the more admirable quality in most any pursuit.  Congrats on the bow.  It's a beauty and you've earned the right to be proud of her.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2013, 07:19:33 pm »
Thanks SLIMBOB, i haven't finished yet, but i know if it holds out through shooting it in it will work out well.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2013, 01:55:46 pm »
Almost done guys! I finished the string(minus serving and string silencers) and I still want to put on some fur mufflers on the pass so it doesn't damage the wood and it will pass quieter. Once this all is said and done I'll see if it holds for an hour of shooting, and I'll see if the groupings are good. May be shipping out today but most likely tomorrow!