Author Topic: Growing my own  (Read 4308 times)

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Growing my own
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:55:43 pm »
Would love some advice on tryin to grow my own Osage. I have just been delivered about 8 softball sized hedge apples.I am planning on planting them and seeing if I can get them to grow.
 What do you think?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Growing my own
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:30:35 pm »
Every one of those fruits has a pile of seeds in it, kinda scattered randomly through it. Mash the apple up and pick the seeds out. They will have to be stratified (go through a cold period) to break the seed dormancy so they'll germinate. Either put the seeds with a little moist sand in a ziplock in the fridge/freezer for a couple months and sow 'em in the spring, or sow them in flats/small pots outside about February or so to let them get some cold weather. After they start growing and get a few leaves on them, transplant them into one-gallon pots. Feed them with Osmocote or a similar slow-release fertilizer.The next year or whenever they start getting rootbound move 'em up into 3 or 5 gallon pots. After they get 3-4 feet tall or so, plant 'em in the ground. Osage grows pretty quick, you should have small bow-sized trees in ten years or so if you plant them in a good spot.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline nugget

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:20:04 pm »
Awesome!!! Can't wait.  :o
Thanks a bunch
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:31:36 am »
I've heard you can put them in a bucket of water over the winter and come spring pour the slurry in a shallow trench and cover with soil. I believe Chris Cade did it this way.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:40:44 pm »
Well I will give it a try. I will post pics as they grow.