Author Topic: Preparing sinew from the deer to the Bow.  (Read 7402 times)

Offline PaulP

Preparing sinew from the deer to the Bow.
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:40:03 pm »
I've asked everyone I know to save the Sinew from the legs and backstrap of their deer.    I don't have a clue as to how the prepare the deer sinew. 

Any and all suggestions are great appreciated.   How do I prepare the leg Sinew?  I've got a feeling all I'm going to get is the leg sinew for it is the easiest to collect.   Just in case I have a chance to get some backstrap sinew How do I get if off the deer?

Thanks,

Paul
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:42:59 pm by PaulP »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Preparing sinew from the deer to the Bow.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:45:24 pm »
  Paul,For the leg sinew,all you have to do is lay it in the sun till it dries out.The hood of a truck works great :D. When you go to use it,I pound it with a wooden mallet till it flattens and you can see the fibres start to separate.A word of caution,don't pound the crap out of it,just till it starts to separate.You will also see some transparent,paper like tissue come loose also.This is the sheath,just peel it off.Now with your fingernails pull and start separating the strands of tendon.Just keep pulling them apart,The thinner the better.Keep puuling them apart till you have a nice bundle.
   For backstrap sinew,lay the tenderloin on a table and look for the shiney,silvery looking strip.Lay a fillet knife flat on top of it and slowly pull it along the blade.It will usually lift off in a thin,flat piece.Clean all the little pieces of meat off and lay it on the same truck hood.When it's dry I store all my sinew in the freezer,dogs and squirrels love it.I'll let somebody else fill you in on putting it on the bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PaulP

Re: Preparing sinew from the deer to the Bow.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:10:01 pm »
Thanks; Sound easy enough.

Paul