Author Topic: bamboo shaft question  (Read 1749 times)

Offline Ringeck85

bamboo shaft question
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:52:51 am »
Hi all,

I have a few questions. I got permission to cut some bamboo (not sure what kind) from a neighbor's stand, and so far i've cut about 50 shoots of various thickness that will hopefully yield some arrows (some will be too narrow or thick but i can always cut more). I know i need to wait a while for these to season. A year ideally right? Now do i try to sand/straighten these now or wait till they'rr seasoned?

I was thinking sanding now would make it easier to tightly bundle these, which would make it easier for straightenng later. Any advice on how to prepare bamboo/cane? Other than hurry up and wait :p
"It is how we choose what we do, and how we approach it, that determines whether the sum of our days adds up to a formless blur, or to something resembling a work of art."
-Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

(Ren', in Wytheville, VA)

Offline bhenders

Re: bamboo shaft question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:54:11 am »
Cut the leaves and branches off and loosely bundle them together.  They will do what they're going to do as they dry.  Wait until they turn brown or golden or whatever color you use to describe a dried cane - check the grove to see what color the old dead clums look like.  Once they are dry you can sand or cut off any remaining vestiges of branches and start the straightening process.  This is a good time to cut clums because the new ones are not up yet  (well, maybe they are in your neck of the woods).  Cut two year old clums so that they have had enough time to stiffen up.  New clums will NOT make great arrows.  Bamboo deposits silicon in it's cell walls as it ages and that's what makes it so tough.  BECAUSE of that, DO NOT BREATH bamboo dust when sanding, USE A MASK OR if sanding by hand, use wet sand paper and keep the clum wet to keep the dust down.  IF sanding on a machine, wear a mask and have your dust collection system working.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:02:23 am by bhenders »

Offline bhenders

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:04 am »
Oops, clicked the wrong btn... oh well....

Cutting bamboo - use a saw instead of a pruners.  Pruners crush the bamboo.  Fine toothed saws (japanese pull saws work well )  Straightening - try heating at least half of the clum and do the 'pull' trick with an arrow straightener.  Then do the other half.  This works MUCH better than doing the nodes and then the internodes.  See this youtube vid for a Master at it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyejbipavWw&list=PL9907327A8447A869

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »
Put them out in the sun and they will dry in a couple of weeks. I cut mine with a machete.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:18:39 am »
You will also find that if you use the pull method, and do it from both directions, nock end, and then point end, you will get a much better node/ shaft transition.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:07:37 am »
   I cut to lenth straighten once and bundle and lie them straight for at least a year. 2 Boo and cains not like shoots where longers better a years as good as poo and cain shafts get. BLENDERS right use a saw and only cut 2 year old or older.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING