Author Topic: Any Geocachers out there?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline TRACY

Any Geocachers out there?
« on: May 19, 2013, 10:34:32 pm »
My son wanted to try geocaching this weekend and we turned it into a family affair. It was a lot of fun and we will be doing more of it in the future. I decided to put some of my smaller points that I make into the cache and hope others will enjoy them.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Any Geocachers out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:37:45 pm »
Splain please. Too lazy to look it up.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:22:02 am »
Sorry, it's where you use GPS to log in coordinates for a specific hidden cache that someone has placed usually on a public place or their property. You have to navigate to the general location and search. The GPS will get you close (5-30 ft) but you have to figure out exactly where the cache is hidden. The general rule is take an item and leave an item in the cache. There are some items that are trackables meaning they are logged in on a website as found and then off to a new cache somewhere else. The caches  that we have found have ranged from film canisters to an ammo can in size with most being small to medium. I tried using my map function on the iPhone by plugging in the coordinates for a cache, but that does not work well- GPS is not that detailed. There is a geocaching app that can be purchased that notifies you of caches and allows you to track your finds. I would recommend this even though it is pricey. It will make the experience more enjoyable but not too easy.

Tracy

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:39:03 am »
Got it.

Bring a bag of red dirt to fill the hole and mark the location, like they did it back in the day, no?  That is, if you are burying the stuff.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:22:02 am »
We were hiking @ CrookedCreek Lake and silas went into a big hollow sycamore and found a cord on the wall.  I checked it out and it was a cache site with an ammo box up in the top of the hollow.  We left a note a bandana and the boys took a pack of seeds and an action figure.  I got Silas a GPS after that, but we have yet to use it to treasure hunt.  Glad you had fun, Would like to try it sometime.  I'm out of school on Friday.  Hope to use the GPS to find some chert sites in southern Monroe county off a geological map I have.  HAve a gooder, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:46 pm »
I did it some in college. It was a lot of fun. Being College boys we prefered to go at night because of the extra challenge. It would be a great family outing especially for young kids. Glad yall had a good time.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:11:38 pm »
10-4 Patrick.

Derik, I thought I remembered you telling me about that find once. Wednesday is my last day until August!!! Give me a shout if you want to go on a rock run near or far 8)

Marks, nightime finds would be awesome! We might try that to challenge the hunt

Tracy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:47 am »
We had some folks put a geocache in the dog park.  Shortly thereafter another person was screaming at people to "control their  dogs!"  Yeah, one of the three leashfree parks in a city with over 30 city parks and she loses her cool because she chose to show up there?  Several other  people complained and even posted a letter on the bulletin board complaining about the dogs ruining their "experience". 

The geocache was removed some short while later when people objected to the rapidly degrading bio-organics they found in it. 

By and large most geochachers are respectful of where they leave their "treasures", but there are some that think it is fine to leave them in or on private property, State/Municipal/Federal Parks where it is often illegal.  Check out the ethical guidelines of geochaching and go have a blast!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:43:29 am by Pappy »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:16:59 am »
 ???

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:15 pm »
Like JW said, be respectful where you put em. There was a suspicious package threat at my local college while I was there that was a geocache we had previously found.

There was another geocache that was a magnetic key holder in the alley of a restaurant. It was daytime and we never found it but we got the cops called on us by a nosey old couple in a child molester van across the street. We noticed they were staring but ignored them. The officer was very polite and we explained ourselves. He left us be and drove over to the old folks and told em we were fine.

If you go at night you must take even more precaution. You look a lot more suspicious nosing around with flashlights than you do in the daytime. A lot of parks close at night. We got kicked out of one by park police at night. hehe.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:32:48 pm »
While at work tonight we had to go check a building near a vacant lot.  When we came out of the building there was a car parked behind our work truck and a guy was across the road doing something behind a guard rail.  He got in his car and drove off.  This vacant lot is kind of a hot spot for problems.  We have found two dead bodies there.  We figured the guy was doing some kind of a drug drop off or something.  We went and looked around and we found a small plastic container with a magnet on it stuck to the back of the guardrail.  We opened it and found a strip of paper with dates and initials.  The heading was for some kind of Geo tracking website.  The guy was just planting it for someone else to find I guess.  We were kind of disapointed, we thought we had broke up a drug deal.  We put it back where we found it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
The thing that bugs me is the "micro" caches.  You can spend a half hour looking for some of those, and still walk away wondering if you didn't look hard enough, or if some donkey walked away with it or something like that.

It's a great way to get some exercise though, and a lot of times it can take you to interesting places that you wouldn't normally go.  There are websites that list hundreds of thousands of them.  When the wifey and I are travelling with the dogs we will sometimes load a few into the GPS that are on our route, and then make a few stops along the way.  Makes a boring road trip a little more exciting.

Offline Lemos

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2013, 12:01:20 am »
Rumor has it geocaching was invented here in the good old Pacific N.w.  Guess we need something to do in all this scenic greenery. I've tried it a couple of times and realized I don't like hide and seek , it is kinda neat when I stumble across one with out looking. (Only twice both times in city parks searching log hollows for snakes)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2013, 12:31:16 am »
While at work tonight we had to go check a building near a vacant lot.  When we came out of the building there was a car parked behind our work truck and a guy was across the road doing something behind a guard rail.  He got in his car and drove off.  This vacant lot is kind of a hot spot for problems.  We have found two dead bodies there.  We figured the guy was doing some kind of a drug drop off or something.  We went and looked around and we found a small plastic container with a magnet on it stuck to the back of the guardrail.  We opened it and found a strip of paper with dates and initials.  The heading was for some kind of Geo tracking website.  The guy was just planting it for someone else to find I guess.  We were kind of disapointed, we thought we had broke up a drug deal.  We put it back where we found it.

Haven't found any dead bodies except for a vulture and a raccoon :)

I realize there is opportunity to raise suspicion and violate trespassing laws, but we are very cautious and considerate when searching for caches. I can see where friction can occur easily in this hobby.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 12:55:05 am »

Haven't found any dead bodies except for a vulture and a raccoon :)

I realize there is opportunity to raise suspicion and violate trespassing laws, but we are very cautious and considerate when searching for caches. I can see where friction can occur easily in this hobby.

If it wasn't for your post Tracy I would have had no clue what it was about.   The area is just one of those spots where a lot of bad things seem to happen.  Thats what made us suspicious. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left