Author Topic: bow building: Day 1 (day 2 also added)  (Read 11104 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: bow building: Day 1 (day 2 also added)
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2013, 07:51:24 am »
Nice pictures,congrats on the new bow. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2013, 02:45:20 pm »
Wait, so are bowslayer and squirrelslayer the same person??  ???
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline adb

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »
Yes... one and the same. Squirrelslayer has morphed into a calmer more truthful Bowslayer.  ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2013, 03:52:41 pm »
Nice job looks like you could get a little more draw out of it
I like osage

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2013, 06:05:51 pm »
What Joe said, but if it was me i would definitely lop a few inches off of it, probably even 4-5. That would increase the weight by alot and make it shoot better (if you don't want a heavier bow obviously just take some scrapes.) And also, why did you put the strike plate on the opposite side of the bow that you shoot on? or did you put 2?? The bottom limb could also use some scrapes especially near the tip.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »
why did you put the strike plate on the opposite side of the bow that you shoot on? or did you put 2??

I'm curious as well.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline WillS

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2013, 06:45:04 pm »
Was it Will Lord that did the tillering on that, or you?  If it was him, or even just observed by him as you did the tillering I'd be a bit annoyed to have spent all that money.  Probably sounds a tad harsh, and I know you're proud of the bow so I hope this doesn't detract from that at all - any working bow is better than no bow - but the outer limbs really need to move a lot more, considering that you're hardly drawing it much and yet there's a lot of movement happening in the handle / midlimbs.  The middle part shouldn't be working until you're right at full draw, or just below but this bow seems to be doing the opposite.

It's not too bad for a general longbow, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it was made under supervision by an "expert" who charges a fortune for a bow making course, using high quality laminations (ergo there are no knots or defects that would result in a less than perfect tiller)

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, or maybe the pictures are showing the bow at a cant or something and not a true representation of the actual tiller. 

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2013, 08:09:33 pm »
why did you put the strike plate on the opposite side of the bow that you shoot on? or did you put 2??

I'm curious as well.

Yes there are two inlay strike plates so it can be shot left or right handed.

Was it Will Lord that did the tillering on that, or you?  If it was him, or even just observed by him as you did the tillering I'd be a bit annoyed to have spent all that money.  Probably sounds a tad harsh, and I know you're proud of the bow so I hope this doesn't detract from that at all - any working bow is better than no bow - but the outer limbs really need to move a lot more, considering that you're hardly drawing it much and yet there's a lot of movement happening in the handle / midlimbs.  The middle part shouldn't be working until you're right at full draw, or just below but this bow seems to be doing the opposite.

It's not too bad for a general longbow, but it's hard to ignore the fact that it was made under supervision by an "expert" who charges a fortune for a bow making course, using high quality laminations (ergo there are no knots or defects that would result in a less than perfect tiller)

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me, or maybe the pictures are showing the bow at a cant or something and not a true representation of the actual tiller. 

The bow does have some reflex and I am not getting it to FD. But I am also holding it at an angle and the guy taking the pics wanted to be the next Stephen Spielberg  :P I done the tillering and it could be better.  But the arrows fly well so im happy with it.  Now all I need is for my yew to season.   >:D
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2013, 09:07:25 pm »
     I have to admit I like the acrylic tips. good job.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club