Author Topic: how heavy a board bow  (Read 4296 times)

Offline fisher2

how heavy a board bow
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:00:00 am »
how heavy can you make a board bow

red oak?

maple?

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: how heavy a board bow
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:43 am »
depends on how good the grain of the board is and how wide you make it and how thick you make it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 05:17:38 am »
How heavy a bow do you want to make ???
I like osage

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:37:28 am »
Here are a couple questions you should answer for yourself. I don't know you, so I apologize if this isn't helpful.

#1- What do you want this bow for? target shooting, flight competition, hunting, historical replication, showing people how strong you are? Make sure you're building the right bow for the right reasons.

#2 How much experience do you have building bows? Heavy weight bows are difficult to make and dangerous.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:40:16 am »
Fisher, you've asked a similar question before. I'm not really liking your style of asking similar questions in different sub-forums of this message board. Please try to work with us, instead of against us. We keep asking you questions, since you fail to deliver sufficient information to give you a meaningful answer.

How heavy for a red oak board 'bow'? Technically there is no maximum. 300 pounds should be no problem.
How heavy for a maple board 'bow'? Technically there is no maximum. 300 pounds should be no problem.

The key is in the dimensions of the bow. A 200# board bow should measure at least 85" or so to deal with the strain.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline fisher2

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 11:45:47 am »
Here are a couple questions you should answer for yourself. I don't know you, so I apologize if this isn't helpful.

#1- What do you want this bow for? target shooting, flight competition, hunting, historical replication, showing people how strong you are? Make sure you're building the right bow for the right reasons.

#2 How much experience do you have building bows? Heavy weight bows are difficult to make and dangerous.

#1 i use bows 75+#  for everything from  300 round paper punching to fishing for turtles so naturally i want to try to make a bow in that weight range

the reason i shoot that weight is solely because i enjoy the challenge of up keeping the needed strength to even shoot a 300 round or a 3d round without fatigue i know theres a bonus in penetration of animals if i ever get a shot at one( which i havnt but i score 230-240 on the 28 target  3d courses)

2. i havnt made many bows at all but all of my board bows have lasted and are still flinging arrows a few months later so far they're ugly as sin but they fling an arrow

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 12:37:51 pm »
how heavy can you make a board bow

red oak?

maple?

That's like asking how long can you make a piece of rope. Depends what kind of 'board bow' you want. I have made tri-lam 'board bows' up to 120#. It's all about wood selection, design, and tillering.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 12:42:14 pm »
..."It's all about wood selection, design, and tillering"...just like any other type of wood bow!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 12:44:40 pm »
Amen, brother.

Offline fisher2

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
so if i get a redoak board and cut it at 72" i can safely make  a 100# bow? out of a 1x2 or would i need it longer

Offline k-hat

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 02:23:12 pm »
For red oak i'd find a perfect board and the densest I can find for 100#.  At LEAST 72" in length.  Then back it with linen for added security ;) just kiddn, I wouldn't make a 100# bow with anything less than a perfect specimen.  then i would have someone else tiller and shoot it for me :o

Offline fisher2

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 02:41:31 pm »
now here's a stupid question what is "dense" is that more rings or less?

Offline Newindian

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 02:57:18 pm »
I think rings (you want thick) would only give you a rough estimate, try to find a especially heavy peice
I like free stuff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 03:52:38 pm »
so if i get a redoak board and cut it at 72" i can safely make  a 100# bow? out of a 1x2 or would i need it longer

I doubt that honestly
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
I'd start out with a 2x2@72" to get a heavy bow out of it. You would be better off going longer though.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC