Author Topic: got some suprise wood today  (Read 3308 times)

Offline bubby

got some suprise wood today
« on: May 17, 2013, 08:47:17 pm »
my neighbor is a caretaker at a local golf course, brought me home a bunch of paper birch about 6" dia stuff,will get atleast 4-5 bows out of it and some shorter stuff for billets, good idea not to po the guy next door :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: got some suprise wood today
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:56:02 pm »
Heck ya bub.Can the bark on that be good for backing too?Paper birch reads about in the mid 50s' for density.I've never worked it before though.
I just found a couple of Iowa Yew growing in the town next door I can have.They got 8 to 9 inch trunks.I see bows there but wonder about the quality of the Yew in Iowa.I'm not going to be able to get mine delivered though.....LOL.Nice score bub.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
only way to find out about that Iowa yew is to make some bows and then you'll know, don't know about the bark but it is nice having it hand delivered :laugh:

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:03 pm »
Yep I know.Gotta pull some shavings to find out about this yew.Thought maybe someone might have gone through this scenario before.Still does'nt tell me enough.I'll have to find out myself.
Your bark if taken off carefully can be used as a backing.Over sinew I think it's better protection from moisture than snake skin.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:54 pm »
Heck ya bub.Can the bark on that be good for backing too?Paper birch reads about in the mid 50s' for density.I've never worked it before though.
I just found a couple of Iowa Yew growing in the town next door I can have.They got 8 to 9 inch trunks.I see bows there but wonder about the quality of the Yew in Iowa.I'm not going to be able to get mine delivered though.....LOL.Nice score bub.

You can cut that Iowa yew and give it to me I live in Iowa also I say it's worth a try
I like osage

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:57:36 pm »
Your post title cracked me up.  I didn't think you were that old  ;D

Congrats on the paper birch.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 12:28:39 am »
That sounds like a good neighbor you got bub, look forward to seeing what you make from that birch. Save that bark for backing too, I;m am just putting the final few coats of tru-oil on a birch backed mulberry bow and I'm really liking the look of it and it held up well thru the shoot in. I just did to try something different but I like the look so much that I'll back another one again.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 02:42:18 am »
Nice score Bub! It doesnt get much easier than that. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 03:11:02 am »
nothing wrong with a little surprise wood  >:D
I have 3 Paper Birch staves seasoned   and been a little hesitant to start on them ,  it seems awfully soft
 have you ever built any bows out of paper birch bub?

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 06:11:43 am »
thank's guy's, outlaw I aint THAT old, thanks Greg, Beadman i'll save the bark too, Paul I've made a couple, Baker says it is somewhat brittle in tension but it seems pretty good to me I backed a walnut bow with it made a nice shooter, that's how to do it carson easy peasy :laugh:

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 07:17:09 am »
I've been googling a bit to identify this yew I found here in Iowa.I think it's some type of irish yew.Used for privacy hedges etc.A retired neighbor living in the country told me he had a paper birch that died from the drought last summer here in Iowa.I've seen it.Looks like there's bows in that one too.Think it's big enough to get some 2' strips off the circumference of the tree too.I've put that birch bark on a sinewed maple and worked great in looks and function.Got to get it down to at least 1/32" thick or less though.Some people might want to use a drum sander for this but I used my curved scraper no problem.It came off in identifieable layers so it all was the same thickness.
BowEd
Ed

Offline TRACY

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 09:51:43 am »
Your post title cracked me up.  I didn't think you were that old  ;D

Congrats on the paper birch.

Title got me as well! HAHAHA
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956