Author Topic: Propane torch for straightening shafts  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Propane torch for straightening shafts
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:42:33 pm »
Well... I don't have a heat gun. I need to straighten some shafts... can a brazing torch do the job?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline aaron

Re: Propane torch for straightening shafts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:52:51 pm »
it will work, be careful- easy to knock over. also easy to over heat.
other things to try:
stovetop
candle
charcoal briquettes
I usually use several pieces of charcoal in a small cast iron pan
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:53:32 pm »
I use a candle(I don't have a heat gun either), too much heat will burn and weaken the shaft
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:34:04 pm »
charcoal in a flower pot would serve you better.  I used my stovetop but it was a pain.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »
I do all shaft straightening over the kitchen stove(gas), cane and hardwood shoots.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 01:54:19 am »
Yes, the torch will work but you must keep a good distance from the wood.  Small fires will cost you less in the long run but the torch saves a lot of time.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:58:14 pm »
Yes, the torch will work but you must keep a good distance from the wood.  Small fires will cost you less in the long run but the torch saves a lot of time.
Well, I just thought that it had to be a HOT source of heat, and had to be concentrated to straighten stuff. Now that I know charcoal works, thats what Ill use.
Thanks, squirrel
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:54:13 pm »
I've had really good results using just my stove top. My second choice would be a candle.

Offline bhenders

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:47 am »
Well, I just thought that it had to be a HOT source of heat, and had to be concentrated to straighten stuff. Now that I know charcoal works, thats what Ill use.
Thanks, squirrel

If the bamboo gets too hot you will damage it.  If it starts to turn very dark, it's toast - literally...  lol.
If it's just about too hot to touch, it's the right temperature - wear gloves anyway to save your finger tips.  Bamboo gets very 'plastic' at the right temperature. 

Use a straightening tool, it's what they were invented for.  I'll have to post the one I made out of scrap.  It's got a slot cut in it and I used a dremel tool to dish out the tool on the sides where the shaft fits so you don't put 'crimps' in the shaft.  The latest ones I've made can be used with either hand (I put the 'dish' on both sides of the tool.  (I've just got to find my camera now... )

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 05:47:50 pm »
Well... I just got a nice little magnesium-cerium firestarter.... so i need the practice. you know what makes a HOT little fire? Elm wood shavings... from a bow :P

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:52:25 pm »
I like to straighten shafts while I'm grillin' burgers. Works great!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 09:48:19 am »
  Thats a lot of heat quick a candle would work better you can control the heat to a small areas better. Get sero with a wick. Use to keep foods hot.  A lot of stafts in a can.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 05:33:18 pm »
I have trouble with the candle as the smoke from the candle tends to stain the shaft.  I use a heat gun/ 

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 06:17:10 pm »
  Thats a lot of heat quick a candle would work better you can control the heat to a small areas better. Get sero with a wick. Use to keep foods hot.  A lot of stafts in a can.
Thanks! I intend to try the candle... let me go talk to parents...

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 05:14:03 am »
Heat is heat.  too much is an element of time.  I streatened a dozens shafts on a wood burning stove this spring and they all turned out great.  I've been shooting them for a couple months and their still straight as an arrow :o

With practice you can use anything.  A candle works good when you're setting in front of the tv with the family.  Quiet and effective.  It does leave black marks but hey...adds character right!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!