Author Topic: ipe board suggestions?  (Read 14213 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

ipe board suggestions?
« on: May 13, 2013, 10:43:36 pm »
So i have an 8 foot board of ipe. its 1" actual thickness and 5 1/2" actual width. First of all, could i get 8 pieces from this if i use a thin bandsaw blade to cut it in half thickness wise? I'm thinking 4   1 1/4" wide pieces that i can back with bamboo. so total 8 blanks that would be a tiny bit under 1/2 inch thick and a little over 1 1/4 inches wide. I was thinking of just leaving them 72 inches so i can make a longbow if i wanted to or whatnot(in which case maybe i should keep one section of the four at total thickness.) Also, id like to back most of them with bamboo, so for instance, ill be working on a bow at some point for a friend that's going to be probably 66 inches long, it would be bamboo backed and would pull 60-70 lbs at 32 inches. I know i would be putting a handle riser in, so what kind of thickness would be desirable for the bamboo and the ipe? The ipe seems to be in good condition, the ends have a few cracks that run about 3 inches deep at the most, the grain is nearly perfect all the way down the board. There are no knots as far as i can see, but there are a few spots that swirl that are very tiny. The color is a bit light but all the other boards that were dark had tons of cracks all over them. The lines on the first one are the ring orientation.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:53:08 am by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: ipe board suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:53:38 am »
Anybody have any tips, ideas, help?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:30 pm »
Don't be too impatient, my friend ;)
Your plan for a layout to cut the board sounds fine. ½" thickness is pretty versatile in a BBI. However, if you want to make true deep bellied ELBs, which is a good design for a BBI, you'll need more thickness in the heavier weights. You can add a center lam (core) for that, for instance with a nice contrasting wood. You could also leave one or two slats full thickness (1¼" x 1") for these higher draw weights. You can always cut them to half the thickness later on. No need to process the entire board now, if you're not sure what to make.
Ring orientation is pretty irrelevant in ipé, as long as a backing is applied. I would try to avoid 100% quartersawn, as any small pin knot will then be along the entire width of the belly of the bow - not the strongest orientation.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 05:02:08 pm »
Why does it look like the grain is running sideways on the 2 pic ?
I like osage

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 07:53:25 pm »
quater sawn? Its strait as ever and really looks like a good candidate for any number of bows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 08:04:00 pm »
he means quarter sawn backing muffy
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:33:04 pm »
i am confused...

Offline DLH

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 10:32:54 pm »
Looks like planar marks in the second picture. The second picture is the face of the board not the end grain correct?

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 10:39:58 pm »
correct, its the face of the board.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 04:45:15 am »
There is no point in cutting the whole board up unless you know EXACTLY what you are going to make from it. Just cut off the section you want to use now.
Quarter sawn refers to how (what orientation) the board was cut from the tree. Do a google search with the words flat sawn, bias and quarter sawn to get some pictures  ;)

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 02:20:57 pm »
so i plan on gluing up soon, but my issue is this, What glue should i use? I was considering unibond until i saw the price! im not sure if i should go with tight bond 3 or something. Maybe epoxy? what do you guys think?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 04:02:32 pm »
Rip off one piece that measures 1¼" wide (and 1" thick). Turn it 90 degrees and cut it again, making sure to waste as little as possible in the kerf (using a thin blade). You'll get two pieces of each 1¼"x½" which is a good place to start. Leave the rest of the board intact. Use the surface you just cut as the belly, so you'll glue the smooth surface which now forms the outside faces of the board. Lightly sand with 80 grit sandpaper. Select and cut the 70" of length with the best grain or best thickness. Prep bamboo. Glue together using Titebond3 (or TB2) and wrap in bike inner tubes, mummy style. Clamp into a mild reflex/deflex shape using three clamps and a few blocks of wood. This will give you a bendy handle bow, up to maybe 50 pounds or so.

If you succeed this style of bow, you can make more intricate and more complex designs, such as:
- adding a (tapered) core of 1/8"
- adding a power lam of 18" x 1/8" and a stiff glued on handle block.
- Shorter design and more curves.

Regarding the 'quartersawn' issue... If the rings run diagonally, like the black lines you drew in the end grain shot, that will be great. Whatever you cut the board, all laminations will continue to run diagonally, or bias ringed or rift sawn. That would be my preference. However, if you end up with a perfectly quartersawn board in ipé (or any wood for that matter), any small knot or pin will run across the entire width of the belly of the bow, since knots run radially in a tree trunk from the pith outwards. This means that a tiny pin knot, unimportant in a ring chased stave, can be devastating in a quartersawn belly, as it will seriously weaken the belly since it spans the entire belly.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 04:07:35 pm by DarkSoul »
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 04:23:56 pm »
so i plan on gluing up soon, but my issue is this, What glue should i use? I was considering unibond until i saw the price! im not sure if i should go with tight bond 3 or something. Maybe epoxy? what do you guys think?

I've used TB3 with ipe on: flatbows, tri-lams, ELBs and warbows up to 110# with zero failures. Make SURE your surfaces are smooth, flat and clean for gluing. I often wipe the ipe with alcohol just before glue up to remove any surface oils. TB3 is cheap, readily available, and cleans up with water.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:24 pm »
Thanks guys, this clarifies a lot for me. Ill be ordering some bamboo soon and hope to purchase a set of calipers(cheap) and maybe a moisture meter(cheap) to see where the board is at. that also reminds me, what MC is good for ipe?

Offline adb

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:06 pm »
I have found little use for my moisture meter. Waste of money IMHO. Ipe is no different than any other wood... 8-10% MC is ideal.