Author Topic: oak stave questions  (Read 2285 times)

Offline rhansen

oak stave questions
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:15:51 am »
I'm a new guy who has been lurking on the site trying to educate myself.  I've made 11 board bows and had a blast.  Yesterday I cut up one of the big oak trees that I dropped in my yard, and I've got it all split up and varnished (64" long staves).  I've never chased any of the rings on oak and I was wondering if there are any special issues that I need to watch out for (with oak).  I have some osage that I have chased the rings on and that went along pretty good.  I decided to hold off on finishing the osage since I only have a couple of osage staves and now I have a ton of oak to work with.  Here's a picture of some of the oak (the staves are still quite wide for now).
Thanks, Rick

Offline osage outlaw

Re: oak stave questions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:17:32 am »
Was that tree dead when you cut it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rhansen

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:21:00 am »
Yes, I should have mentioned that it died last year, just waited to cut it down.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 11:26:07 am »
Don't use it! It is not suitable for bows anymore because fungus has invaded it and made the wood unusable. It will make great firewood however.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rhansen

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 11:36:35 am »
Ok, that's good to know (I did not know that). You saved me a ton of time, that would have been wasted.  I'll go back to the osage staves that I've been working on.
Thanks,
Rick

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 11:50:46 am »
yup no good if standing dead.  however for future reference, you dont need to chase rings on oak, hickory, elm, hornbeam etc.  just peel the bark, cambium and go. 
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline rhansen

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 11:59:55 am »
That's good to know, I really appreciate the information from you guys on this site!!
Thanks again, Rick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »
You can peel the bark off of any trees if cut during the growing season. Woods like osage, locust and mulberry you don't necessarily want to do this unless you plan to remove the sapwood and seal the back. You do want to peel the bark on whitewoods(oaks included) and use the ring under the bark as your back. Be sure to seal any wood that you peel the bark from to prevent drying checks.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rhansen

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »
I goofed with the oak.  I thought time was on my side as long as the oak was standing.  I've just given away all the oak to my nephew who burns wood (he's happy).  I live in Minnesota and the oak wilt seems to be running rampant up here. I'll pay more attention with these trees and get to them right away, so that I don't lose any more good wood to the fire.  I do appreciate all of the good advice on this site.  I've already ordered TBB volumes one through four.
Thank you again for the great information!
Rick

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »
I would only use wood that is healthy. Once the signs of the blight show up it is probably too late.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:40:35 pm »
That wood looks rotted to hell that's the thing about white woods they don't last long in the elements
I like osage

Offline rhansen

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 08:14:48 pm »
Thanks Pat.

Joe, it's not rotted your just seeing the logs wet from rain and debarking.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 09:08:24 pm »
Freshly peeled white woods should look clean and white.  Check out Blackhawks post about ash and oak.  Thats what it should look like. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rhansen

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 09:13:55 pm »
Thank you, I'll check it out.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
The heartwood... I thought oak had tannins that prevented it from rotting?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"