Author Topic: Bows made at the Classic  (Read 6434 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Bows made at the Classic
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:06:17 am »
Since there was so much going on at the classic, a lot of us might have missed some of the bows that were made while at the classic.  How about posting up pictures of the ones that were made while at the classic, those for the challenge as well as those that were made other than the challenge.

Offline Josh B

Re: Bows made at the Classic
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:11:25 am »
This is a cool thread idea.  I would like to contribute, but I gave away the one bow I made before I could finish it or take pics.  I look forward to seeing what folks made.  Josh

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:19:58 pm »
I gave one away too...and the "half" one I did was wills stave I finish tillered n did tip overlays n shaped em up n shot it in,but he still has it...and the other three still aren't sealed n finished...I've been super busy since I've been back taking care of other things needed done n haven't had time to do so yet. I'd only did 4 1/2 bows this year ;)  :laugh:....not to mention all the helping n teaching other peoples bows :D

Offline whitefeather

• I love Gods critters beside mash potatoes & gravy.
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:02:11 pm »
I will post mine as soon as I get it finished.I made my first bow there. I have one more snake to kill to finish it. Got a nice water snake yesterday at work. Had the tme of my life at the classic. Pics coming soon.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 05:33:42 pm »
Great post >>>>>---------------->!!!!!!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 11:39:13 am »
Come on now.  I know there were bows made at the classic. Post them up.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 11:40:58 am »
No bows here Charlie. I mostly shot tree's and emptied 12 oz tin cans.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 12:56:35 pm »
No bows here.
Did not even work on a bow of my own.
Helped five people make there first bow.
Two Osage and three Hickory.

David
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:58:07 pm by RidgeRunner »
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 01:38:22 pm »
I have a couple I'll be finishing up here shortly.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:54:15 pm »
I made a kid's bow for my son. I'll post a pic of that when I can get a shot of him shooting it. I also completed my first Osage bow there (with the help of many). Blackhawk just couldn't understand why I worked on the same bow for 2 months! Every time he came by my workstation he would ask "Is that the same bow?" and "you still working on that?"  Just so you know BH, it is completely finished. All it likes is a smear of deer blood to properly christen it.  :D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Marks

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 03:16:20 pm »
I made a kid's bow for my son. I'll post a pic of that when I can get a shot of him shooting it. I also completed my first Osage bow there (with the help of many). Blackhawk just couldn't understand why I worked on the same bow for 2 months! Every time he came by my workstation he would ask "Is that the same bow?" and "you still working on that?"  Just so you know BH, it is completely finished. All it likes is a smear of deer blood to properly christen it.  :D

Glad I'm not the only one who take forever to make a bow. I may try to visit the classic next year but it will have to be a day visit. Not sure I'd be able to campout as my wife and I will be having our first baby in December if all goes well. Who am I kidding.....yall probly won't see me next year either.  :'(

Stringman

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 03:27:42 pm »
I already posted this somewhere else, but this is my buddy's first bow ever. When we arrived on Thursday I hooked him up with the orange shirts and let him take wood in hand. He fell in love with the whole process and couldn't believe how much fun he was having. I ended up helping him get it shooting on Friday and he was very pleased.

He called me last week and asked when we could go back! I think he was runnin a fever.  >:D

Scott

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 05:57:50 pm »
I think someone took a pic of mine I made.R/D osage.It's an above average 49# shooter.Good for me to shoot at the target range to keep my form good.Not that it could'nt kill a deer though.How many bows were made?I've heard unconfirmed numbers of 60 to 100.Someone should be in charge of that.......LOL.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 09:52:28 pm »
68 registered for the Self Bow Challenge.  Based upon the last 4 years registering folks at the Classic working on bows I'd estimate the number built is between 95-120.  I tried to track the number of bows built a few years but the response was never complete.  By that I mean it didn't work out as planned because folks forget to see me with the results of the final shooting bow so I could log them in. 

I may try it next year with a different approach.  Perhaps a drawing for a prize with tickets given to those who turn in their results.  I'd need the info such as:  Osage bow, 66" TTT, 49 lbs @ 27" and a name.  I bet I could get a few prizes made by friends to offer for turning in your bow results.  Maybe a ticket for  each bow built.  I'll run it past Pappy, Greg, Anthony, Chuck, and Will.  If anyone thinks this might be a good idea speak up here and I'll talk with the guys.  I figure we could do it on Saturday for the drawing prior to the Knapping event seeing as how a lot of folks like to watch the boys in the pit make their magic.

I need to mention how much it means to us at Twin Oaks that we get good folks to help with the new people learning to build bows.  We honestly could not do it without such wonderful help from the PA community. 
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 10:02:11 pm »
He called me last week and asked when we could go back! I think he was runnin a fever.  >:D

Scott

Yellow fever claims another victim.

(We'll bury him in the basement with the others and have some elderberry wine with your Aunts.  and now I must go upstairs.  CHAAAAAARRRRRRRGE!)*

Arsenic and Old Lace flashback. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:05:14 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.