Author Topic: poplar as bow wood  (Read 31542 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: poplar as bow wood
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2013, 10:41:29 pm »
Gotcha. 1" of set a 5" of bend sounds like a broken bow to me.  ???
Same. But it doesn't go up at all. Thats what puzzles me. It takes most of the set early on, but then it doesn't increase....
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 10:43:48 pm »
Gotcha. 1" of set a 5" of bend sounds like a broken bow to me.  ???
Same. But it doesn't go up at all. Thats what puzzles me. It takes most of the set early on, but then it doesn't increase....

I've never heard of anything like that. Have you pulled the same bow to 27"?? :o :o The set should increase. Pics would help to tell whats wrong.

Jon

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 10:51:55 pm »
The op asked if it could make a " decent bow"....by my definition and opinion...no it won't...you will have to make it long and so wide for it to actually be a long lasting durable SHOOTABLE bow that I would not want to carry something like that into the woods...and I'd never fully trust it and have 200% confidence in it

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 01:23:56 am »
The op asked if it could make a " decent bow"....by my definition and opinion...no it won't...you will have to make it long and so wide for it to actually be a long lasting durable SHOOTABLE bow that I would not want to carry something like that into the woods...and I'd never fully trust it and have 200% confidence in it

+1

Offline TatankaOhitika

• Primitive survivalist / bow maker/ flint-knapper
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 02:08:16 am »
Build it wide ( 2.5 - 3 inches at grip and mid limb ) and long ( over 60" ) and keep the handle semi bending , AND possibly back it with rawhide ( just dont over power the belly ) AND FINALLY belly soak for 72 hours in grease and im pretty darn sure poplar will make a hunting weight bow thatll last years
Keep calm , and camoflauge into mud

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 08:21:02 am »
Build it wide ( 2.5 - 3 inches at grip and mid limb ) and long ( over 60" ) and keep the handle semi bending , AND possibly back it with rawhide ( just dont over power the belly ) AND FINALLY belly soak for 72 hours in grease and im pretty darn sure poplar will make a hunting weight bow thatll last years

I liable to come unscrewed if I read another post about soaking bows in water or oil to make them stronger. Its silly and does nothing to teach new people.  Rawhide adds ZERO tension to the back, you cant overpower a fart with rawhide.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:27 am »

OK...let's see it...show me....but only after you've spent thousands of arrows thru it,hunted with it multiple times being strung for hours on end,thrown from trees,used as a crutch to get ya out of the woods with a hurt ankle,banged on rocks galore, etc....and let's still see if its a "decent bow" ;)  :laugh:...

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:19:32 am »
If I lived where the op lived and only made a couple bows in an area with osage,hickory,elm,hophornbeam,oaks,dogwood,ash...etc...poplar would be the last on my list to use...always use the best available wood to you when first starting out and learning how to make bows...<--------thats a big period ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 11:06:03 am »
Yah... you can build a bow outta poplar, but why would you want to?

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 11:30:07 am »

Because someone like me walks Into the conversation to stir the pot and says you can't do that..lmao.. :laugh:....right Ryan ;)  :laugh:

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 11:32:48 am »
Its cheap and has a nice grain usually.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

blackhawk

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 11:49:42 am »

Most any other trees/better bow wood is free when ya cut it(especially if you live in Ohio)..and cheaper than a "unknown" bought board from a store. And did I mention most any other wood from stave form is gonna be better 99% of the time

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 11:58:33 am »

Most any other trees/better bow wood is free when ya cut it(especially if you live in Ohio)..and cheaper than a "unknown" bought board from a store. And did I mention most any other wood from stave form is gonna be better 99% of the time
:laugh: Some people will pay you to get Osage off their property!
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 12:12:35 pm »

:laugh: Some people will pay you to get Osage off their property!

That's right Jeremiah ...switch sides and come to the dark side...the right side...and get on your knees and bow down to the king osage and swear your loyalty and allegiance to him as your lord ;) lol...  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 12:16:22 pm »
the only time I would make a bow out of poplar , is if I was stranded in a forest of nothing but poplar  and was starving .  even then I would not be happy about it !!!