Author Topic: wondering if i could get a Mollegabet bow out of this  (Read 3846 times)

Offline littlehunters19862011

maybe sum one could help me with this. i have a hhb stave that's been setting in the corner of my house  .it was cut down around  last october .  its a little over 47 Long and i thank about 3in wide . i would like to try a Mollegabet bow with it but am not sure if it would work .can you give me sum Ida's on what type of bow you thank it would make .
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:28:50 pm by littlehunters19862011 »

Offline ksnow

Re: wondering if i could get a Mollegabet bow out of this
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:33:29 pm »
That little stave looks like an excellent candidate for an Eastern Woodlans style bendy handle bow, but I may be a bit biased.  I would think a molle of that length would be stressed to its limits.  Whatever you decide to do with it, keep us informed.

Kyle

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 09:37:37 pm »
That little stave looks like an excellent candidate for an Eastern Woodlans style bendy handle bow, but I may be a bit biased.  I would think a molle of that length would be stressed to its limits.  Whatever you decide to do with it, keep us informed.

Kyle

I agree

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 11:31:30 pm »
There's just no way at only 47 inchs long your draw lenth would only be in the teens I'd agree with the other two comments a bendy handle is your best bet
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 06:15:17 am »
I don't know, pretty shure halfeye could get a 25" bend on it, but that boy knows how to bend wood, why not make a bendy molly
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:23:40 am »
Hard to tell from your pics,but are you sure for certain that's eastern hophornbeam? It doesn't look like it from your end grain?

Offline JeremiahVires

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:44 am »
I'd say a bend in handle bow with flipped tips.
Bend in handle for saftey, and flipped tips to keep away stack.
I could take over the world...  Just need a few more million minions...

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 11:32:40 am »
Hard to tell from your pics,but are you sure for certain that's eastern hophornbeam? It doesn't look like it from your end grain?

I agree. Those are some big rings for HHB.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 12:55:42 pm »
If you are determined to make a Molly of that stave, ...I'd suggest you look at doing a V-splice on each end of the stave for your lever tips, ...which would be rather interesting actually!

OneBow

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:37:14 pm »
i was told from sum pa members that they was sure it was hhb. here is  the old post of the log the stave come from ..http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36680.msg485317.html#msg485317

what do you guys thank the max draw leanth from this stave
would be if i tryed a bendy handle bow ?

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 01:50:30 pm »
If that's from the same log it is....awful big rings for hhb tho......the question about max draw length is more of the question of how good are you at proper execution of design and tiller? A novice should prob be only trying to get about 20" with it,where as an experienced bowyer could take that out to 25-26" ....splicing in your levers is a good idea if you want more than 20" of draw realistically

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »
ok thanks . if you guys say that it would be batter if it was  a bendy handle bow then thats what ill try for.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »
I'm sure you could get a molly style bow from it but the question remains how satisfied will you be with the outcome? It seems to me that this is the time to let the stave dictate the type of bow and my suggestion is similar to others that have posted, a bend in the handle with flipped tips seems the only logical answer in order to get the draw length you are looking for. I would save my molly trial for a different stave.

Sorry, I didn't see your last post came in until I was done typing. Good decision!!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline ssgtchad

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
I don't know, pretty shure halfeye could get a 25" bend on it, but that boy knows how to bend wood, why not make a bendy molly
+1
Always learning something new.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 07:54:25 pm »
+1 Fred Arnold.  Let the stave's properties point the way to the final shape.  Forcing a square peg into a round hole is generally a frustrating exercise.  Looks to me like a bendy handle waiting to be realized.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.