Author Topic: Cane/Boo arrows  (Read 2834 times)

Offline gothmog

Cane/Boo arrows
« on: May 07, 2013, 06:58:15 pm »
I just got my first set of boo shafts from the classic.  Do I need to glue a skewer into both ends before tapering/cutting in the nock, and then wrapping the ends?  Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Cane/Boo arrows
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:05:48 am »
Inserts are not necessary. I used to do it but now i just cut self nocks and slot for a hafted head and wrap behind with both. I use sinew for the wrap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:07 am »
I never do.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline gothmog

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:40:08 am »
Thx guys.  And nice meeting ya down there pearl.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 11:28:35 am »
Right back at ya'! What a whirlwind of a few days.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Otter

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 02:03:04 pm »
yeah i bought a dozon of thoughs shafts all so, i just need to find the right spine to shoot in my bow. thanks Pat for all the help on my bow at the classic and hope to see a bow out of that old twisted fence post my brother gave u. i about threw my back out gettib that thing pulled out of the ground lol.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:27:56 am »
I was gald to help. That's one reason I go to the Classic. The other reason is to hang around with all these goof balls!  ;)
  The stave your bro gave me will be studied for quite a while before I jump into it. It needs to dry some since it hasn't been long out of the ground. I'll give it a month or two and maybe then I'll start chasing a ring. We'll just have to wait and see.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:12:26 am »
I will and have done it both ways.  If I feel the walls are too thin, I plug them.  But the one thing I will always do either way is wrap the shaft at the nock.  Using an insert can and has also helped to get the weights even or closer from shaft to shaft when making matched sets.

Offline gothmog

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:56:10 am »
Thanks Charlie.  These have fairly substantial walls.  Bought them from the guy up near Pappys cabin, cut and spined.  Cheapest Ive ever seen them.  Hope to see ya back next year brother!

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:21 am »
Yeah I saw those, they are tonkin cane.  Makes a great arrow.  Let me see your finished arrows when you are done.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:48 pm »
Gothmog,
I also bought 6 shafts from him, and now wish I had bought more.  They made some great arrows.  Does anyone have a way to contact him?  Every time I saw him he was working on a osage stave and was barefooted.  I have no idea how he walked on the all the gravel around there, amazing.

Here are a few pic's

Sure would appreciate any help to get in contact with him again,
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline gothmog

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:43:36 am »
Wow that was fast, and those are some seriously good looking arrows!  Did he mark the stiff side with the spine?  Thanks

Offline bhenders

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »
Wow that was fast, and those are some seriously good looking arrows!  Did he mark the stiff side with the spine?  Thanks

On most bamboo, the stiff side is the side without the leaf nodes.  ie, cut the nock in line with the last leaf node.  I usually just cut the nocks so that the last leaf node is on top of the arrow as it sits on the string.

Offline gothmog

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 06:25:00 pm »
Gothmog,
I also bought 6 shafts from him, and now wish I had bought more.  They made some great arrows.  Does anyone have a way to contact him?  Every time I saw him he was working on a osage stave and was barefooted.  I have no idea how he walked on the all the gravel around there, amazing.

Here are a few pic's

Sure would appreciate any help to get in contact with him again,
Thanks
DBar

I assume this is him, info from the cards he marked the spine on.

King of the Mountain
Tom Norris
Bearfoot Traditions
515-282-4623
Des Moines IA 50313
M-F 6-10 PM

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 07:35:15 pm »
Thanks!! I'll give him a call.
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking