Author Topic: Common Hawthorn as a bow wood?  (Read 12876 times)

Offline autologus

Common Hawthorn as a bow wood?
« on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:13 pm »
I was wondering how you all thought of common hawthorn as a bow wood?  I have found a nice little hawthorn behind my shop that is about 2" in diameter and fairly straight except for a nice reflexive bend that would be in a good handle location.  Any advice with this wood, it looks like it would be quite dense and have lots of character.  Also how would I deal with tiny limbs? Just leave them as raised knots?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline aaron

Re: Common Hawthorn as a bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:00:23 pm »
I have wondered about hawthorne too. I think the tiny branches could be left as raised knots- I wouldn't try to cut 'em too low. Specific gravity from TBB vol 4 is .83 (crataegus sp.). Should make a good bow based on that.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:32:06 pm »
It is reported to be excellent bowwood - IF you can find a piece that is big enough without defects. And that's a huge if.

Run a search for "hawthorn" or "hawthorne". You will find plenty of info.

Seriously, run a search.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline dwardo

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 04:18:37 pm »
My only experience was about the same dimensions as yours and unfortunately for me I tried to split it, and ruined it.
Checks badly and splits even worse and that coming from someone who splits elm all the time.
Shame as it was looking like a great bow woo. So if you do cut it saw rather than split,.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:28:44 pm »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
We have  a native species of black hawthorn and an introduced english hawthorn common in a lot neighborhoods.  I want to try them both, but it is tough to find a straight piece.  Although just last weekend I saw a hawthorn bow made by Jim Rempp that was a straight flat bow made from a stave with at least 30 degree twist.  He simply ignored the grain and cut a straight bow from it.  It came out just fine, actually really nice!  I might start being less critical of choosing a piece of hawthorn after seeing that bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline hatcha

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:59:48 pm »
There was an article a few years ago called "The Hawthorn Bow Buck" which told of the details of harvesting a buck and also of making the bow.  I'd need to flip through my copies of PA to find what issue and the author's name.

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:04:34 pm »
Its diffuse porous so there is no ring to chase. It drys quite slowly, I have some drying now. Early May it will be 2 months, I can start cutting the biggest peice about 4 inches round, may get 2 bows out of it.  Ya it takes a long time to dry. Will try putting some out in the sun see how that does.. ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 05:32:47 pm »
yes , hawthorn is a very good bow wood...its a hard and strong wood, and will easily make a good bow, if you can find a piece that is suitable...thats the hard part.... I have never had a problem drying it. except for when it has grown twisted.

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
Carson,

Look in unlogged swamps, that's where I find it. It has a nasty need to twist, with that said if you can determine the grain is straight from the bark, saw it. I prefer to cut it in the dead of winter saw , split whatever....seal the ends leave it out side where rain can not get to it where it will stay cool.

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 07:49:18 pm »
Makes a very good bow, However it warps if dried wrong, checks quite easily, is very prone to tear-outs, and will chrysal if it is not seasoned long enough. I've learned there isn't much of a point making bows unless the wood is well seasoned. That's what the stuff i work with acts like, there's a lot of variation in hawthorn tho. 
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 08:04:51 pm »
Yup.......does it twist after its shaped or as its drying....?  The stuff I have is quite straight.
Zion I know you are making bows in short order correct?, like 2-3 months after sitting outside... ::)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 08:55:48 pm »
I have some hawthorne and want to try it.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline autologus

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 04:48:54 pm »
The stuff we have here is gnarly and crooked as a barrel of snakes.  :laugh:

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bow101

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »
The stuff we have here is gnarly and crooked as a barrel of snakes.  :laugh:

Grady

Mmmm i guess it depends what area of N-america you are at. Here on the pacific coast it seems to grow straight, not much gnarl at all