Author Topic: a father needs some help  (Read 8015 times)

Offline Niltsiar

a father needs some help
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:17:18 am »
hey guys i am a 21 year old father of two.  i am now a disabled army vet. I got out of the military last year and realized i had spent my whole adult life (from 17 till 21) doing something that didnt help me get a job out side of the army. so now i am going back to my roots and hunting just to stalk up my fridge with meat for my family. so i am looking for a bow to use for this i dont have much in the way of money but i do have some things i could trade and if you are in northern utah i am willing to do work for it. all i really have is an old tomahawk a military sleeping bag, some gortex acu camo. if there is anything you are looking for just let me know and i will see if i have it or can get one through trading with people i know here. thank you guys and have a good one
Primitives for them....they were necessities, to us.....they are heritage

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: a father needs some help
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:21:02 pm »
You need a bow? I will try to make you one.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JEB

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:14:58 pm »
Give some more specifics on what you are looking for.
Compound/traditional, right or left hand draw. draw weight etc.

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:51:16 pm »
What can you draw, what kind of bow do you want to hunt with? How about arrow or accessories?
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 01:02:33 am »
Snares and deadfall traps are probably more productive for collecting small game for food.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 06:22:06 pm »
Any interest in making a bow yourself? It's really not hard.

What is the nature of your disability? (If you don't mind my asking?)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 07:30:33 pm »
Looks like a bunch of guys wanting to help out and truth be told Pat has the most productive idea for gettin food but you live in an area with lots of bow wood and there is a bunch of help right here :)

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime........................
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 08:43:30 pm »
Really. Fish aren't that bad. They can be hard to get if they ain't biting, but go for "panfish".
Go for snares. If you are a decent shot, get a cheap 50 pound or so recurve and some cheap ceder arrows. you can probably hit a rabbit every day if you have a big enough area to hunt in. Rabbits aren't that hard to hit, you get many shots, and they are stupid.
Great combo. however, they don't taste too great to a normal civil person.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 08:50:19 pm »
Rabbits are not "stupid" at all.  It is there natural instinct to freeze when they sense danger then run when they know the danger is on to them.  Wild rabbits are not the same animal as rabbits that live in suburban places and eat in peoples garden and are used to seeing people.  And they taste great I might add!
Aim Small...Hit Small

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »
Well, that explains a lot. I thought they were just dumb... Turkeys have sense to just run for it.
I know that they are different. Wild stuff does have a slight "wild" taste to it, which some people just hate.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:33:13 pm »
If rabbits were stupid, there wouldn't be any.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 03:03:39 pm »

yeah as good as they taste, if they were easy to hit they would be long gone
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:47:19 pm »

yeah as good as they taste, if they were easy to hit they would be long gone
They are easy to hit.
At least the dumb suburban ones on the street seem so.. I find them all the time....  >:D Too bad I can't drive:(

Offline Niltsiar

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40:41 am »
Ya I do have a guy here who is going to help teach me to make a bow and out here the rabbits are small and far between but I do hunt them with a sliang shot I just need something to take bigger game and my disablility is my shoulder I tore most of my tendons and my labrum in my right shoulder when the did surgery it didn't go right so I can't lift as much and am limited in movement in it
Primitives for them....they were necessities, to us.....they are heritage

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 09:05:59 pm »
Ya I do have a guy here who is going to help teach me to make a bow and out here the rabbits are small and far between but I do hunt them with a sliang shot I just need something to take bigger game and my disablility is my shoulder I tore most of my tendons and my labrum in my right shoulder when the did surgery it didn't go right so I can't lift as much and am limited in movement in it

Wow, with the shoulder injury, I wouldn't even look at a bow. You can probably find a decent rifle somewhere for a good price, sometimes, although it is against craigslist rules, people will trade guns for things on there. Alot of churches give out food weekly to families, I been there, it is worth checking out.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair