Author Topic: Some historic points from WI  (Read 1668 times)

Offline IsaacW

Some historic points from WI
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
I am currently getting together a little blog posting on traditional archery and it will have a Wisconsin History twist (as most my posts do).  Anyway, since I have these scanned, I figured many of you may like to see them.  These points were excavated on Rock Island off the Washington Island and the tip of Door County (Wisconsin).  They date from late 1600s-mid 1700s.

Bone ones...

Metal...

We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Some historic points from WI
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:30 pm »
Coolio.
I like them. No english broadheads, huh?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »
nice! thanks for sharing.
can ya send along the link to your blog?
wild women don't get the blues

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:59:35 pm »
Thanks Isaac W,
cool pics! love the historical pieces.
 been told by tribal members doing research in Ohio that my Wyandot ancestors used the triangular points with the holes in the center.
they are often cut from brass trade kettles. evidently a brass kettle was traded for, just to be cut up for the metal.
Ive designed some bronze points that i use now that use this center hole for putting the sinew through.
the difference is mine also have a short grooved tang and they are cast.
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 11:47:42 pm »
I will post a link when it is finished up.  I have a photo to take and a video to upload and then I will post. 

Yes, many of those metal heads are brass... scrap from kettle most certainly.

Isaac
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 02:09:22 pm »
Here is the link... http://frenchinwisconsin.com/2013/04/archery-bows-and-arrows/

Nothing too exceptional or full of historic info.  It was more of a fun little post inspired by being out shooting with my youngest.

Isaac >:D
Aldo Leopold