Author Topic: New tools? (New tools added.)  (Read 3020 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

New tools? (New tools added.)
« on: April 26, 2013, 02:10:46 am »
So here i took a bunch of stones that i thought would work well for precise as well as more generalized percussion flaking. I found a bunch that looked like it would work. I took sticks and fastened these stones onto the sticks. I believe that I've seen this type of hammer stone used for work that drives nice long flakes and has more punch with a much smaller point of contact. here they are. What do you guys think? I'm going to try them out anyway, but i will need to start acquiring more stone to really test them out. In any case here they are.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:46:46 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline ionicmuffin

Re: New tools?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 02:11:23 am »
More.

Offline Newbow

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:58:04 am »
I don't do well with hammers, myself, but it will be interesting to see how they work for you.  I look forward to seeing your results/conclusions.  Good Luck!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:28:39 am »
id like to see how they turn out and what use i can find for them. maybe one day i will use them for super hard flakes that need lots of pressure in a condenced area. who knows. if thats the case then cool. not sure if i will use them on a regular basis, but i think that already im LOVING hammer stones much more than i am with copper boppers.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 12:40:02 pm »
OK! im back with more tools that i just gathered!  Here i have hammer stones, disc shaped, eggish shaped and two billet shaped ones.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »
Heres all the antler stuff i have, breaking it down to different functions,antler billets or knife handles?  notchers, antler tines, and billets. I still have to shape them all and will need to refine the edge and such of the billets and notchers.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 12:45:08 pm »
here is one of the hammer stones, i just thought i would ask to see what you guys think, its interesting because it looks like maybe it was used before hand because there are spots where it looks like flakes have been driven from. Aboriginal hammer stone? just a thought.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: New tools? (New tools added.)
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 12:55:10 pm »
I am hoping the hammer stones don't fly off an knock a flake off your head ;D ;D  Bob

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 12:57:50 pm »
me too! the ones with handles i think will be fine, i will let the sinew cure and shrink before using them. I was watching some youtube knapping vids on selecting hammer stones. now i have a decent selection of stones to work with and hopefully enough antler billets to last me a long while

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 06:18:42 pm »
well it looks like you got a lot of tools lol now put them to work ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:11:11 pm »
ok, so the antler billets i made worked alright, i need to round the end a bit more before its going to work well but ill get that working soon. I am going to need to find some new material soon because all ive got left is rubble.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 12:55:17 am »
OK, so here is some thinning i got done with my billets. they work really well and are really useful for taking of a good amount. the thickness was around 2-3x the thickness it is now, which is about 1/4 inches.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:08 am »
I'd also like to add, i realize that the thinning i did was not a whole lot, but im getting the hang of using billets for thinning and getting good flakes from my material.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 02:37:32 am »
I have thought about doing the same thing.  Also thought about drilling a hole nto a hammerstone and wedging a wooden handle in it like a bopper.  I think that it is surley plausible that some one in the pasts could have tried this method!!  Good work and gla to see someone thinks outside the box.!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Hunts with stone

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:45:25 am »
Can't wait to see how this Preforms for you. One thing I see is the overhang on the handles may create a problem striking the preform on follow thru. The questionable Hammerstone artifact? Doesn't appear to have consistent wear pattern on it imho.