Author Topic: Osage checking while chasing ring??? Advice needed.  (Read 3455 times)

Offline StickMan47

Re: Osage checking while chasing ring??? Advice needed.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:10 am »
Sorry, I ran outta room on the text block on my phone. Again thanks to all of you guys. Y'all wish me luck on this one, lol, I might need it.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 10:00:05 am »
I didn't use to think it needed sealing if it was a couple of years old,but have had some problems especially when heating to straighten so now I seal them all when I get the back where I want it.  :) good insurance, I usuall use cheap wood glue cut with water and sometimes shellac or polly. :) Good luck on this one.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 10:57:52 am »

Checking occurs from relatively fast drying of wood.  It can be relatively little moisture leaving the wood after chasing a ring on dry osage, but if it is leaving the wood relatively fast, then it can check.  It is all relative man!   ;D

It has happened to me, so now, like others, I seal osage backs anytime I chase a ring. 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso