Author Topic: Correct tiller tree setups make the difference!  (Read 3960 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

Correct tiller tree setups make the difference!
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:25:37 pm »
So i just finished making my pulley tillering tree! and guess what i found out! The bow that i formerly thought to be 35-38 lbs at 29 inches is actually 50 lbs! my sisters bow which was 15lbs(so i thought) is now about 23-25lbs at 24 inches! Im soooo happy that i now have an accurate system of measuring the weight of my bows! Anybody want pics?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 10:45:11 pm by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Roy

Re: Correct tiller tree setups make the difference!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 12:18:40 am »
Yes please..

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 01:08:46 am »
Yes please..
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 02:10:35 am »
OK, you asked for it ;D i decided a picture wasn't good enough, so i one upped and made it a video. I need a system of finding out what draw length its at, so i think i will color code the notches in increments of 5, 5 colors in a specific order and then when all the colors are used start over, then stick markers on the side to show which of the increments it is. i will probably do something similar with the scale since its all blue its not that awesome, so ill fix that. Sorry it took me so long to get the vid.

Basically i have a way now of measuring draw weight and length, seeing static tiller as well as working tiller. Anybody watch mythbusters? well they have a safe blast zone thing, heres mine as well, and with my track record id say i really do need it, it also wont fall over, and it will not take as much set if i  only hold it for a second or two or three? something like that. 

In conclusion id say i gained a LOT more than i lost(chalk board and movable tiller stick.)

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/theionicmuffin/media/MVI_6335_zpse1058650.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/theionicmuffin/media/MVI_6336_zpsd44b21b4.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1

There are the links.

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 02:50:23 pm »
Depends on the scale,  are those mechanical rounds scales accurate. My bathroom scale is probably within 3 pounds, have compared it to the meters at the health center which are very accurate..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 03:17:55 pm »
ill have to check, but im fairly certain that its accurate. Ill test it out with some weights soon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 03:56:12 pm »
K, just tested it, its accurate to a T its off by maybe .5lbs just tested it with 7.5 and 10 lbs, could go more but it is super accurate.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 04:26:44 pm »
It looks to me like the scale is set at zero when it's hanging from the bow.  You might want to weigh the scale, the carabiner and any other metal fixings all together, then adjust the reading on your scale to reflect the total weight.

Remember - that scale is pulling down on the string before you even put the cord in your hand to pull it downwards...

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 04:32:51 pm »
i adjusted it to weigh 10 at 10 actual lbs, but i can try weighing it, it wouldnt be much anyways. even if thats a factor its no more than a lb or 2. which is much better than around 15 lbs off.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 02:41:56 am »
In my personal opinion i think this will help me to tiller bows without taking tons of set, which should show up in my future bows, almost all my bows have taken extreme amounts of set, so well see how it goes. I think that for beginning, this set up is all that is needed to get accurate bows that have little set, when i began i didnt really know what to avoid, now i do.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2013, 03:32:23 am »
muffin it takes more than a tillering tree to reduce set, it's the tillering, not the tree, practice, practice practice
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 03:44:14 am »
yeah, i figure thats the biggest part of it. but the fact that i have to lock it in and then step back then release it all in less than 5 seconds and see what i need to change. I think this will go a long way to fixing that issue. I wont have to have it drawn for any length of time so i wont put more stress over time on limbs that are imbalanced.

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 03:49:44 am »
OK, so now I'm really confused...just weighed the bow that I got in a trade. It's saying that the bow is 60-65 lbs at 30 inches... 5-10 lbs over what it was thought to be. I contacted the builder to find out the accuracy of his scale(since I wanted to know if mine, or his, or both are being funky.) He said hes not entirely sure of the accuracy of his scale since its been dropped a few times and been screwed back together, so now I'm wondering if the hickory I have is really 50 at 29 or if its only 38, and if that's the case, then why did the weights I used to calibrate it tell accurate scale reading? I cant really see why things aren't panning out. I know that the thickness of my bow (the hickory 50 lber) is fairly thick and you would think that for such a thickness it would be about 50 lbs. even though its about 1.25 inches wide at the fades its close to 3/4 inches thick at about 2 inches out of the fade, and it comes out to about half an inch at the tips or around that. so this is what so baffling! I'm sitting here scratching my head thinking, why is this different from what I thought? My previous scale is broken, its got an issue. Currently it reads 50 lbs at the 40lb mark. and it doesn't go past the 40. Its been dropped so many times and it just doesn't seem to read well anymore. I'm starting to think that the weight I was getting from the scale on the bows I was attempting was actually more, thus making some of them way too much for the dimensions that I was attempting. If it was an accuracy issue then that would explain why when the scale had read 40 lbs or a bit more that I really was 50 or even 60 lbs. which for a narrow board bow would explain a lot! What do you guys think? I'm really starting to think that maybe the bows I was making were way over weight for dimensions. Most of them broke near full draw, which leads me to believe that maybe the bow was over-stressed already and something I did put it over the top, and it would also explain why the bows I was making at "40" lbs were taking like 2-3 inches of set when it should have been closer to 1-2 inches.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 06:11:58 am »
you answered your own question muffy, you got a new scale that you calibrated with weights, and the guy that sent you the bow said he didn't really trust his, trust your scale
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 08:25:50 am »
What buddy said. ;)  You do need to add the weight of the scale, on mine the scale is 3 lbs,I ajust it to 3 lbs showing and that's close enough for me. I can't see you pictures so can't say if it is the same as mine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good