Author Topic: dogwood nock wraps necessary?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
dogwood nock wraps necessary?
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:36 am »
Does everybody wrap their dogwood nocks or can a person get by without it.I know it's just another little step on the making of them for safety reasons and it'll appear real neccessary when one blows up in my face but I was just wondering.Suppose I could do a little inch long insert on them like I've done before too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: dogwood nock wraps necessary?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:07:53 am »
I wrap all self nocks no matter what wood or cane I use. It only takes a minute to do it and they will be safe. You don't want a nock to break when you release the arrow.
 You could also make a reinforced self nock by adding an insert and probably not need to wrap but a wrap is a lot less work and I've never had a wrapped self nock break.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:15:50 pm »
Like Pat. I wrap all self nock.  No need to take the chance in my mind. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:16:19 pm »
Beadman, yes wrap them, I tried one once and the bow blew the un-wrapped dogwood nock into several pieces, the broken part of the shaft cut my bow arm bad and I am sure if the bow wasnt sinew backed it would have damaged it!..YES REINFORCE THE NOCK!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 01:15:41 am »
I do a linen wrap on every arrow, fixed with TBIII.    I've had a couple self-nock fails - on Home depot dowels, I think because I used a little to much force trying to fit the nock on the string, and on shoot shafts because they were damaged by another arrow and I didn't notice.  I learned my lesson, better safe than sorry.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 01:46:16 am »
I always wrap mine too, no matter what.  It only takes one nock failure to see the light...  and I saw the light.   :o
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 09:52:14 am »
   You put a lot of work into that arrow that is if you make your own. Why take the chance you just can't glue on another.
  I rap all my nocks no matter what the arrows made of.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 10:34:35 am »
After one (poc) blew I now wrap all Ed.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 07:01:28 am »
I always wrap mine too, no matter what.  It only takes one nock failure to see the light...  and I saw the light.   :o

I see the light now also
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 07:26:06 am »
Yea I know you all are right there fellas.I did have an unwrapped poc blow on me too iowabo a long time ago.Luckly nothing bad happened.I went ahead and wrapped mine with silk and glazed it with thin super glue.I use different colored silk for different spine weights etc. to ID the arrow by sight as I reach for an arrow.Probably not neccessary but it's just my way of trying to be efficient.I've got sinew too but for some reason sometimes my arrows find the wet grass once in a while.Could poly the sinew too I suppose.Anyway though I actually robin hooded a silk wrapped doggy target shooting and it held up great not splitting past the nock.Sure would  like to get one of these into or through a turkey.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 08:04:43 am »
PS...Those strutters are sure impressive and fun to watch though.The contrasting colors on the neck and head and the irridescent color of their feathers as they turn around in the sunlight at full strut.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 12:32:12 pm »
I have never once wrapped a nock on any arrows I've made and I never have had one nock splitt on me and I don't plan on wrapping nocks untill one does split
I like osage