Author Topic: What started your interest in primitive activities?  (Read 7492 times)

Offline ionicmuffin

What started your interest in primitive activities?
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:42:08 am »
So, As the title says, what started your journey? Ill start with mine.
As a boy, I was like most others my age; I loved the Indians, thinking it would be so very exciting to be like them. Time and time again I would "build" a bow. What I was really doing was not bow-making, but it sufficed for my interests. Patrick, a good friend of mine, would make these bows with me. The one time I had made a decent shooting bow Patrick and I wandered around the yard, terrors of the neighborhood. My sister and her friend, who happened to be Patrick's sister, where out in the yard, "Shoot near them." Patrick says, and doing just that, I shot, hit his sister's eyelid, and got in big trouble. In consequence the bow was snapped in half by my dad, and that was the end of a "good" bow. The rest of my childhood seemed to involve bows at some point or another. When we moved I had found another stick that seemed like a good choice for a bow, and, for a while it held up.

That's just part of it. I just recently was able to find a story that i had forgotten about until now. Sign of the Beaver. I am going to buy it again, but i have to say, it was an AMAZING book, great read and well worth my time. Its about a boy whose left at a cabin while his father goes to fetch his mother and sister and leaves him there. He is barely making it, up until the natives help him out. He learns to make a bow and arrows, he learns to navigate well through the forests, he learns to hunt, and be self sufficient. One of my all time favorites for primitive fiction.

What is your story? why did you start?

Before i forget. I was like 8 or so when i shot his sister, bad deal, didnt intend to shoot her in the eye. Shes got perfect vision even today. The eyelid was the part that got the impact and it was on the bone.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:33:01 am by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What started your interest in primitive activities?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 08:43:03 am »
I have always been interested in Native American life.  I have found several artifacts.  I found my first arrow head when I was very little, probably 4 or 5 years old.  I was playing in a creek bed and found a rock shaped like a Christmas tree.  I didn't even know what it was at the time.  Luckily my parents did.

Although I was a compound shooter, I wanted to try a longbow but couldn't afford to buy a new one. I put an ad on Craigslist looking for a used one.  Some guy offered to make me a selfbow in exchange for some osage from my property.  I helped him cut and split some.  That got me interested in making a bow so I cut and split some for myself.  By the time that guy finished my bow I had already made two myself.  And in my opinion, my second bow was much better than the one he gave me.  I have been hooked ever since. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 08:57:11 am »
To old to remember, ;) :) I think it was I am tight and it cost little money, nothing but time.  :) I don't Golf  don't fish much  don't care for sports or TV,so I needed something to keep me out of trouble.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 10:30:21 am »
I've always been interested in the outdoors and I liked pretending to be an indian more than a cowboy when I was a kid.  It really started when I read Tarzan by Edgar Rice Burroughs.  That books is what started the gears turning in my head.  From there I got curious about natural cordage, the friction fire, and it just hasn't stopped.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 10:38:57 am »
We made simple bows as kids out of green cedar limbs but I didn't carry this bow making past my early childhood.

I shot a Bear recurve in the early 70s, tipped to the dark side for a number of years when compound devices came out but never felt like I was carrying a bow. In 89 I got fed up with technology, sold my wheels and bought me another recurve(Bighorn), got real good with it.

One day in the early 90s, I was walking down the road at my hunting club and ran into a guy I didn't know who was toting what looked like a limb branch with a string on it. I asked him"do you hunt with, THAT?" He answered "yes". Next I asked "ever kill anything with it?", "killed a deer with it the other day" he said.

I am getting real intrigued with his bow about this point and asked him how he made it. He said" come over to my house and I will show you".  A few days later I was at his house and he showed me his method for making a bow. Wasn't long before we were great friends, Joe Bogle is his name, super nice guy and one of my best friends to this day.

As many of you know, once the bow bug hits you are in it's control for a lifetime. First you make a bow, then another,  then go crazy cutting bow wood and finally try to pass on the craft to anyone who expresses an interest. Bow building is truly a rich and rewarding addiction.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 11:03:03 am »
Satisfaction in making your own equipment and it's cheap to boot.Course our money is only worth as much as what the government says it is which is'nt much of a comfort.The stuff made by hand seems worth more to me.Differnt values I guess.
You can bow fish Pappy.Then you'll be fishin and hunting at the same tiome.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 11:18:27 am »
I got tired on having to buy the next tech apparatus to keep up and started researching building my first wood bow. I think Jay Massey's "The Bowyers Craft" really got the juices flowing for me. I first hunted with a Shakespear recurve(1979) before I went high tech but that only lasted a few years before I bought another glass lam recurve, then a glass lam longbow all the while thinking about building my own wood bow.
  I was reading a new issue ot Traditional Bowhunter years ago when I saw an ad for a new magazine called Primitive Archer. I immediately send a check for a subscription and waited for a few months(I think) for the first issue to come. I have been HOOKED since then. I still have my recurve and longbow but never shoot either. I've been shooting selfbows and wood backed bows exclusively for many years now.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 11:22:24 am »
Read a field and stream article about 10 yrs ago that explained how a guy could make a primitive bow from a sapling. They said you could make the whole thing with a knife... Well, I tried and my first 3 bows were ugly and failures. Then I met a guy who said he would teach me and we started meeting every now and then. Made my first from Osage and couldn't believe how simple and primitive the whole process was. I kept picking my bottom jaw up off the floor and he could tell I was just hooked

After that bow I started making my own and we would still get together once-in-awhile. I have been totally absorbed with this addiction ever since. I'm like Pappy, in that, it is relatively cheap and keeps me out of so much trouble. You know the sayin "idle hands..."

Scott

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 11:53:18 am »
Always fascinated  with the fact that the wood bow ran the world for thousands ofyears. Started making green survival bows around ten. Subscribed to pa in1993 and bought bows and arrows of native americans by jim hamm. Been hooked ever since. Taken afew breaks to do what teenagers do but have always found my way back 

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:37 pm »
Wow! lost of variety as to why people started  ;D Keep em coming!  :laugh:

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 12:06:43 pm »
Hi my name is Leroy I haven't shot a compound for 16 years come june 7th.
Don't ask why I remember the date it's a family show. Had a old archery canada deer slayer recurve. Started playing around was hooked hard. Liked making quivers and arrows. Freind had a magazine shop he pointed out primitive archer thought I might like it. That's the long and short of it
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:01:37 pm »
For starters I am an NDN - Mountain Maidu from Northern California and Turtle Mountain Chippewa from South Dakota. I always knew I was NDN but was not raised in the traditions. Three out of four grandparents were all products of the NDN boarding school system. That means that a lot of what I should have been able to learn from them I did not. I did learn from them about family and working hard with what you got to make the best of what you have.  As I got more edumacated in elementary, high school and college I learned more from a lot of poeple what it is to be NDN. Then I got a job that pays me to be NDN. It was always there and has been continually nurtured ever since. You also got to remember that "Primitive" skills are not just NDN, they belong to all of us in our histories at some point in time or another!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 01:54:34 pm »
thats very true Ben. I always think of primitive as Native American, but i suppose any culture with stone or other non modern tools would qualify.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:05 pm »
Love of the outdoors + Addiction to wood that grows straight = Primitive skills fool.   ;D

Been making bows and arrows since about age 7.  Got jump started in 2005 when I got slapped in the face by a savvy ebay bidder.  I was angry for months.  It was just a silly Native American bow and arrow set, Right? WRONG.  So now I make my own.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline osagejack

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 03:54:33 pm »
I got started 1987 I ordered jay masseys book the bowyer craft,,i have not been the same since ;D