Author Topic: glue bow question?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline bushboy

glue bow question?
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:09:50 pm »
I think this is along the lines of a perry reflex glue up .my question is has anyone heat treated the back prior to glue up? My thinking is if the back is treated and covered by a backing all of the heat treated wood remains intact instead of some of the treated wood being removed thru tillering.maybe a dumb question ,but I'm thinking of performance.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: glue bow question?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:32:05 pm »
Heat treating benefits the woods compression characteristics, the back works in tension.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »
X2

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 03:57:16 pm »
Don't heat treat the back it needs some moisture to take stretching
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:12:46 pm »

What?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:23:07 pm »

What?

What did I say something wrong ??
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 04:28:37 pm »
 Unless I read it wrong you said wood needs moisture to stretch? I dont follow that thought.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 04:36:55 pm »
Yes it does you don't want the wood to have zero moisture otherwise the wood becomes brittle. This doesn't include the belly because it's under compression.
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 04:40:09 pm »
Zero moisture is bad in compression and tension. The moisture driven out during the temper process is regained within a few days in a normal enviroment. There is no way to have a super dry belly and a kinda' dry back.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:42:08 pm »
By heat treating deflex in and then gluing in reflex would the limbs not store more energy because of the opposing forces? Unless I read it wrong this is the perry reflex principle
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 04:43:02 pm »
All im saying is you don't want to heat treat the back that's it.
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 04:46:52 pm »
You are exactly right, but mositure has zero to do with it.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 04:51:44 pm »
You are exactly right, but mositure has zero to do with it.

Understood, yOu have much more knowledge than me so I won't argue that fact
I like osage

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 04:54:25 pm »
By heat treating deflex in and then gluing in reflex would the limbs not store more energy because of the opposing forces? Unless I read it wrong this is the perry reflex principle

I would think this would put more strain on the back
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:55:52 pm »
Im not trying to give you a hard time or make it seem you have no clue Joe, as I dont know you "from Joe" and you could be a pro. What I do know is many, many folks read and learn here on this site and its nice if you can keep the info as accurate as possible for them. We dont want people dumping glasses of water on the back of their bow so it doesnt break! HAHAHAHAHA......Stranger things have happened.