Author Topic: Hides- added pics  (Read 3196 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Hides- added pics
« on: April 16, 2013, 06:37:45 pm »
I stopped by my friend the Taxidermist today to see how many feathers he had, so far. He had a few, but while I was there he asked me if I had any need for hair-on pieces of hides. I thought I might be able to make a quiver from them or something, even if I had to patch a couple of pieces together. There is everything from wild-a-beast to whitetail.  Some are pretty small, but a few are reasonably large. I have a 30 gal. garbage bag of them. Do you think anyone might want to trade for them?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:24:10 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline paulsemp

Re: Hides
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:54:32 pm »
How big are some of the pieces? What you looking for?

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 06:55:41 pm »
Yes, I might be interested in some for using around the interior mouth openings of quivers to quiet the jiggling arrows.   I would need enough to make a piece about 6-8 wide by about 14 long or bigger.  Multiple pieces are OK as long as they kinda match by color and length of hair nap (is that the right way to say that?).

Do you have that?  What would you be looking for in exchange?

Russ

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »
do ya have any pics of any of it ?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 10:31:21 pm »
I too would be interested.  What are you looking for in trade?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 11:00:35 pm »
It is still in the bag in my truck. I have had a pretty tough day and am still at it, just taking a break. I was just curious if anyone had an interest. I will be at the Classic and can bring it all. I am sure I will be giving some of it away if yall want it. I already have a few trades worked out for some staves which is all I really need. Of course I can always use snake skins, sinew, etc. I will go through it tomorrow and post some pics.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:20:11 am »
Bring it all Bulldog!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:54:35 am »
Any antelope pieces? -Drew
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:41 am »
I dragged them all out last night late. I am not really familiar enough with some of the exotic animals to know. I am slammed, right now, at work, but will try to take time, today, for some pics when the sun is out. A couple of matching pieces looked like they might be antelope. The biggest pieces are from some deer-like animal with horizontal pin stripes. I have 2 or 3 pretty big pieces of that. The only problem I have seen with them, other than their size, is that most are longer horizontally than they are tall which means 2 pieces would have to be sewn together to be long enough for a quiver, for instance.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 12:56:04 pm »
no worries or rush (for me) Kenny...antelope will be easy to tell if you push the hair against the way it lays naturally it will break.
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 03:48:56 pm »
Pics of what you have would be nice. What trade items are you looking for?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 08:35:13 pm »
If you have scrap or small pieces you don't want or something Ill trade steel points for them.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 09:05:41 pm »
Sorry guys. I have been so busy at work getting ready to go out of town for the Classic, I haven't had time to take pics. I will try to get some up tomorrow.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 11:23:45 am »
I finally got some time to take some pics of the hides. Pardon my picture taking skills. They are spread out on a steel patio table. The first two pics are the same hides from different angles and the next 2 pics are a different batch of hides from different angles. The last pic is what the back of the hides looks like. I don't know much about tanning, but they seem to be at least partially tanned. They are slightly stiff, but the taxidermist said if you wet them a little they will be very soft for shaping. They are not as stiff as rawhide, though and some are softer than others. The only one I know for sure what it is is the wildabeast which has a "mane". I did not take pics of a couple of pieces of what appears to be hog hides with long stringy hair...kinda ugly if you ask me although the leather and hair could be usable for some of you, though. As far as trades go, I kinda want to try some cane arrows and maybe some flint points or a good stave. Here are the pics.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:52:43 am by lesken2011 »

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: Hides- added pics
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
Ive got some cane, from a trade that didn't work out.
Its in 32 inch or longer pieces. Its about 3/8 inch diameter for the most part. Works good, I usually make my arrows from it or willow.
You see those top 2 that are gray? I think that would be my pic. How big are they?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"