Author Topic: Yew selfbow ELB  (Read 11251 times)

Offline adb

Yew selfbow ELB
« on: April 15, 2013, 07:47:04 pm »
Howdy all. Quick money shot of a yew selfbow ELB I've been working on. 74" ntn, 55#@29". Deep rounded belly. 1.25" wide at the grip, tapering evenly to 1/2"nocks. Ebony tip overlays. This stave was a bit of a challenge. Lots of knots... one ended up right on the edge of the top limb, swirl in the sapwood in the bottom limb, reflex in bottom limb tip, really uneven tiller initially, very thick sapwood. Lots of things to work on. I haven't made a character selfbow in a while, and this one woke me up!

Tips still look a bit stiff to me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:17:58 pm by adb »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Sneek peek new yew selfbow ELB
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »
I see it a tad stiff off the upper fade area about 6"? I like the tips? But hey, Im a flatbow osage guy, whatta I know about yew! I like the stats a whole bunch.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 08:07:41 pm »
Rest of the shots...

No set to speak of. Round horn inlaid arrow pass. No grip... just shooting off the fist.

I'm so used to making bi-lam and tri-lam ELBs, with perfect dimensions, and perfectly even tiller. I haven't seen a character selfbow tiller for a while and I'm out of practice. This stave was 78" long and I had hoped for heavier weight... thinking maybe a warbow, but by the time I finished adjusting the challenges, I ended up at 55#. The bottom limb tip was also so reflexed, I ended up piking this bow. Helped in the end.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:27:44 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
So... here's my question for you yew selfbow gurus (Del, keenan, ravenbeak, etc.)... what should I do with this knot that ended up coming through near the top tip? Leave it, fill it... what? The bow shoots fine and it's not too heavy in draw weight. Tiller is decent. Leave well enough alone, or will this bow have a short life?

It looks like a crack just above the knot, but it's not... it'd just the heartwood coming through when I sanded it.

OH yah... I took your advice Del... no nock grooves on the sides, just made the tips narrow and deep!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:23:59 pm by adb »

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
I see it a tad stiff off the upper fade area about 6"? I like the tips? But hey, Im a flatbow osage guy, whatta I know about yew! I like the stats a whole bunch.

Yup... see that now. Thanks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Yew selfbow ELB
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 08:20:25 pm »
Id wait for a few more opinions, Im a rookie at the ELB deal, but fast becoming a fan.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »
Any thoughts on the edge knot?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 08:30:18 pm »
My one and only yew bow has one. I did this to mine.

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 08:32:04 pm »
I have an Italian yew warbow with an identical knot issue.  It's actually more towards the middle of the upper limb, and looks about the same size and depth.

It's a good 4 years old, and although I don't know who made it, the bow shoots perfectly.  The knot is a tad frightening, but I see no adverse effects from it.  There's a very similar knot in a yew warbow/longbow that I'm tillering at the moment, and I'm very tempted to leave it empty as compared to filling it.  I quite like the look.  With it being so close to the tip, and on a medium-weight bow of this design I'd be inclined to leave it, unless you want to fill it due to aesthetics.

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:39 pm »
Thanks... that's what I was thinking. I don't mind it actually... it just adds more character to an already unique bow. All the punky bits inside the knot fell out and the remaining wood seems hard.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 08:35:28 pm »
My one and only yew bow has one. I did this to mine.

Phew! Now that's a swirl. Not quite as bad on my bow, but same idea.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 09:31:27 pm »
That's an absolutely stunning bow.  Great job with that piece of wood.

Kyle

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 09:39:46 pm »
Sweet, Adam. Great job. I don't know about that knot, though!! :o
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline AH

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 09:41:06 pm »
I have an Italian yew warbow with an identical knot issue.   

Aha...
As soon as you say that, you know we've got to see some pics... ;D

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »
I'll add some when I get a chance.  It's nowhere near as pretty as this one though.