Author Topic: red oak board bow  (Read 7338 times)

Offline Josh B

red oak board bow
« on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:09 pm »
I've been watching the red oak board bow trade and enjoying the fine bows being made.  I guess I was a bit inspired to try another one as I hadn't made one in years.  Plus, I forgot to bring my trade bow to work on and was bored.    I'm spending the weekend in Waterloo Ia so no power tools.  After about ten min. Of sorting, I found a tolerable red oak board at the local big box store and a 18 tooth reciprocating saw blade to make into a toother.  I like to tooth the glue joint on glued on risers.  Toothed and epoxied the riser on friday, shaped and tillered  Saturday and just finished it today.  It's 69" ntn with 8" riser .  1 1/2" at the fades, straight taper to about 5/8" tips.  I'm gonna guess its somewhere around 50#@27" since I don't have my scale.  I had almost forgotten how good a red oak board bow could be.  This thing had me grinning from the first shot.  It ain't nothin fancy, but it sure spits an arrow with authority!  Thanks for lookin!  Josh

Offline NTProf

Re: red oak board bow
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 06:35:34 pm »
I still love seeing and making red oak board bows. That is a nice one! Going to have to pick up a red oak board this week after seeing this.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 07:16:02 pm »
Nice job on that one Josh! I still have some red oak in the shop. I may have to start on one after seeing the job you did on that one!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 07:38:44 pm »
Heck yeah!  Good looking bow.  I haven't made a red oak board bow in a long while.  You inspired me to get one going. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline dmc

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 07:51:15 pm »
Long live the new king of woods!! Hehe
Great bow by the way. It's hard to argue against simple and effective.
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline ksnow

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:58:19 pm »
Very nice bow, and way to go improvising the tools.  I am working on an oak board right now, they sure are nice to work with.

Kyle

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:05:25 pm »
Long live the new king of woods!! Hehe
Great bow by the way. It's hard to argue against simple and effective.
:o  ;D. Lmao!  Oh my!  Now you done it!   ;D
I appreciate the kind words fellas!  I see now, looking at my pics that the upper limbs is just a smidge stiff through the outer mid limb.  Wish I would've noticed that before putting the finish on. >:(   Oh well!  It shoots good enough that I ain't gonna mess with it now.  Thanks again fellas!  Josh

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 08:47:49 pm »
nothin wrong with that tiller there buckwheat..... ::) the arrow speed and good shootin qualities should of told ya that. Your way to critical there Doc >:D
rich

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:28 pm »
I just think its cool as hell, that you're doing this at the back of your 18-wheeler.  This "bug" that's bitten us follows us on the road, even.  Nicely done, Doc!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 09:07:08 pm »
Doc, you're killing me.  I've been struggling with a red oak board bow for the trade for 6 weeks now.  And you go and build one from the back of your truck.

Good job!
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 09:21:32 pm »
This almost makes me wanna go play with some crappy house trim wood >:D  :laugh:

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:30:00 pm »
Doc, you could make a decent shooter out of popsicle stick. Nice work.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 09:34:03 pm »
Nicely done! Great looking bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:05 pm »
Well done Josh, looks like it should be a smooth shooting bow. Pretty cool that your able to make do and round up what you need and make a nice bow on the road.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 11:05:54 pm »
nice bow!  in my opinion (worthless or not) this is what its all about, using whats available w/ the tools and material at hand or nearby.
even if that means digging through a pile of boards at a lumber yard. and THAT'S a fine looking bow too.

when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...