Author Topic: Baised-ring board question  (Read 1133 times)

Offline paleryder

Baised-ring board question
« on: April 14, 2013, 01:59:03 am »
I have a board 3/4" x 2 7/8" x 73", red oak from the hardware store. I'm going to build a rigid-handled bow out of this one. The board is biased ring. Rings run end-to-end. Edges look good; some waviness with a couple of run-outs at the extreme end on one side of one end.

Issue: the board is bent/bowed slightly to one side. If I lay the bow on its edge there is some deflection creating a 1/4" gap between the table and the center of the board. This gap extends for a good lenght of the piece.

Question: Should I follow the curve on the board when laying out the bow and straighten it later or does it matter? I expect to cut the length down quite a bit, probably to 64-66" or so. I'm thinking that it's possible to reduce the deflectionsomewhat as I cut down the board to length. I haven't done a lot of straightening but I'm not opposed to trying. I'm thinking about making a Mollie but adding a 1/2" riser to stiffen then handle area a bit.

Thanks for your advice.

Todd

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Re: Baised-ring board question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 02:14:17 am »
I would get another board. If you cant get another board and must mae this a bow I would follow the curve, however The bow may still end up breaking because it sounds the pece is not perfect, thats why I suggested you get another board. A picture would be nice.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 03:59:45 am »
a pic would be nice, is the edge with the deflection natural, is the opposite edge straight/ flat, just because one edge aint straight doesn't mean it wont make a bow, we need pics
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 04:52:58 am »
It doesn't really matter if the board is warped much more important is how the wood fibers are running. However if the board is warped chances are it has tension in it and when you cut out your bow it may well move again.