Author Topic: Stringing a bow  (Read 3114 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

Stringing a bow
« on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:36 pm »
A couple of days ago I was reading a post talking about breaking bows while stringing them by the step through method. I have to confess that I always use the the step through method while stringing my self bows. I've been building bows since 1980 and have never damaged one while stringing it! I do use a stringer while stringing recurves however; it's too easy to twist the tips when you string those.

I'm just curious to hear what you guys do. I will appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Stringing a bow
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:06:46 pm »
I always use the Step Thru method too. Never had negative results either. It seems easier to me than push/pull, especially with heavier bows.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 11:28:07 pm »
......... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   Yes I agree Step thru is safer than push/pull...........but watch out I have been bit already...... :o from using the push pull method.  I now use a stringer on bows over 35#....thats my 2 bits worth.. ;)    Wisdom tells me to only get hurt once.....!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:30:23 pm »
Push/Pull
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:02 pm »
I use step thru only reason people think it can break bows is if your doing it wrong which Ive done before and caused a splinter to pop on one of my bows i still use step thru I just make sure i do it right
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:22 pm »
Step through is fine for wood bows but will warp a glass bow. I use push pull unless the bow is too strong for me or to long then I use the step through method or a stringer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 12:05:18 am »
What Pat and OO said!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 12:12:21 am »
I use push pull on all my bows up to 75#, and that's as heavy as I got
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 12:14:53 am »
Howdy,  I've been using step through on my old Ben Person recurve since 1968, with no signs of warping or problems.  I normally use push/pull on wooden bows (long bows and flat bows.)   I use a stringer on newer recurves and on very heavy or long (length)  bows.  One caution... do not use push pull on a recurve!! That upper nock is aimed straight at your face.  One slip and you'll be aiming with the left eye from now on!   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 09:59:30 am »
Step thru.  I'm careful to keep the bottom tip against my foot, have the center (fulcrum) against my thigh or hip depending on length of the bow.  I don't disagree with those that recommend push-pull or a stringer, probably safer, but I've never had a problem, not one. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:36 am »
Push pull for most bows except the more extreme recurves which I use step through. Can't see how a set through can be bad for the bow if done properly. Wide stance handle behind left knee and placing the weight evenly in the limbs.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 10:25:07 am »
Step through,never had a problem unless the bow wasn't ready for a short brace!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »
I always use the step through method.  If done properly it doesn't hurt the bow.  The push pull method scares the Hell out of me for one reason.  Think about this, when a bow blows, which way do the pieces fly?  Away from the back, right?  Now the next time your push pulling, think about what's exposed if it lets go while bracing.  Eyes, face and throat are right in the path of shrapnel.  I already have bad eyes and I'm homely enough to get a job haunting grave yards.  I really don't need to worsen the situation.  I know what your thinking, if you use the push pull method there's less chance of the bo. w blowing.  Maybe, maybe not.  But even if there is an increased chance of damaging the bow with the step through, the majority of the pieces are blowing away from you.  I can make a new bow.  Not the case with my eyes, face and throat.  Just my .02.    Josh

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 03:28:05 pm »
I always use the step through method.  If done properly it doesn't hurt the bow.  The push pull method scares the Hell out of me for one reason.  Think about this, when a bow blows, which way do the pieces fly?  Away from the back, right?  Now the next time your push pulling, think about what's exposed if it lets go while bracing.  Eyes, face and throat are right in the path of shrapnel.  I already have bad eyes and I'm homely enough to get a job haunting grave yards.  I really don't need to worsen the situation.  I know what your thinking, if you use the push pull method there's less chance of the bo. w blowing.  Maybe, maybe not.  But even if there is an increased chance of damaging the bow with the step through, the majority of the pieces are blowing away from you.  I can make a new bow.  Not the case with my eyes, face and throat.  Just my .02.    Josh

If a bow breaks while you are bracing you  then it sure wasn't meant to be a bow!!  :o
Step through if done correctly probably won't damage most bows. The problem with it is that people rarely do it absolutely correctly, or at least the people I see all the time.
Push pull if done properly will never damage a bow.
Stringers again if used properly will never damage a bow.

The problems start when the bow is well reflexed.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 03:31:47 pm »
Push/pull here. BUT I always close my eyes and turn my head while doing it for the safety reasons Doc mentioned. I've
only had one blow on me while stringing, but that will happen when a fool trys to string on backwards in the dark. :o

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.