Author Topic: Paddle bow, which would be best Hickory or maple?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Paddle bow, which would be best Hickory or maple?
« on: April 13, 2013, 01:45:50 am »
I'm wanting to build a paddle bow for a friend this summer.  Would maple work for a paddle bow or should I go with hickory?  I've made several hickory bows, but I've never worked with maple.  I'm not looking to go really wide with this bow, probably 2 3/4" at the widest part.

What would be the best design/style for a maple bow?
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

Re: Paddle bow, which would be best Hickory or maple?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:34:06 am »
I made one several years ago out of hickory. It took a little more set due to my skills at the time. I recall seeing some made of ash and shot one at the Classic 4/5 years ago that was made out of sycamore and it was a screamer. I wouldn't hesitate to use maple if I were to build another. Good luck with it Dave!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 08:13:28 am »
My vote is hickory Dave.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:05:33 am »
Osage!!!!  >:D. Lol..... :laugh: ...what about any of your hackberry staves? How long are you wanting to make it and intended stats?

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 11:28:12 am »
I didn't think about the hackberry.  I'm looking for it to be a low weight hunting bow 40-45# at 26".  The length 60 to 64"
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:28:22 pm »
Any of the species mentioned so far will work just fine Dave as long as its designed and executed right...I'd more look thru your stash finding the best candidate for what you want more than wood species alone.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:15:44 pm »
64" is probably a bit long for a traditional paddle bow design. Hickory or hackberry either one should work. The hickory will likely have more 'back-bone", but hackberry is very flexible.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:55:39 pm by Hrothgar »
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 02:35:52 pm »
Thanks Chris.  One of the main reasons, I was looking at the maple is.  There are 7 sacred woods of the Cherokee.  Maple is one of them.  I've been attempting to make 7 bows, one each for my hunting buddies from these woods.  OK, some o them will be more symbolic, i e having say birch overlays.  But, it I can get a complete self bow from one of the woods that would be great.  The symbolic hickory bow is one I made for Brian.  It's a hickory backed osage. :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw