Author Topic: So What Size Bandsaw for Rough Out?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline karaterick

So What Size Bandsaw for Rough Out?
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »

Last week I proposed the question as to whether I would be better off with a band saw or table saw for roughing out board bows and it seemed to be unanimous for the band saw.

As I am on a real tight budget, spending wisely is paramount.

That being said, what is the minimum size band saw and what is the minimum power that I need to efficiently and accurately cut down 3/4" - 1 1 /2" thick red oak and hickory boards?
Will the same saw also work for cutting backing and laminate (something that I don't have a clue on yet)?

Thanks for you help!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: So What Size Bandsaw for Rough Out?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:05:18 pm »
My 12" 1 hp bandsaw works fine for roughing out staves, but I would love to have a 14" grizzly with a little more power.  Keep an eye out on your local craigslist site.  You can find some great deals on good used saws. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Roy

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:51:04 pm »
You buy a decent band saw and it will last you a lifetime. You buy junk and that's what you get, and you will be kicking yourself in the butt for years. I would put some money away every pay till you have $700.00 saved up and that will get you a great saw. I would hold out for a 14 inch, 1 1/2 hp band saw. You can get a used saw for $300.00 or less.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:56:56 pm by Roy »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:10:45 am »
14", 1hp.  Grizzly
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ScottN

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:57:51 am »
how much space do you have for it? i bought a 10"craftsman bandsaw brand new from sears for $180. not to big, but it is great for making bows(with an upgraded blade). if i had the room in my garage for anything bigger, i would have gotten it. But this 10" one fits perfect on top of my workbench! it also doesnt weight to much and i could easily pick it up and move it if i need the space back on my bench.

someone else i know builds takedown lam-bows w/ bolt-on limbs using a 9" craftsman bandsaw. granted, he has some other tools he uses but the bandsaw does most of the roughing out!

if you goto a local sear's, sometimes they will be selling last years model or slightly used ones for quite cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:01:06 am by ScottN »
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline hatcha

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:20:15 pm »
Started work on one of my ash staves yesterday (after about 3 years curing).  De-barked it, marked out the bow, then brought in the sides with drawknife and Surform.  My drawknife is crap - they just don't make tools like they used to a hundred years ago :( - and I have a lot of meat to remove from the "belly" of the stave so I was thinking about bandsaws and was gonna post a question about them so I'm glad I saw this thread :D

14 inch, 1 - 1.5hp saw seems to be the most recommended style, would that be the best place to start from?

Steve.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:28:09 pm »
Steve - If You have the money and space, go for it. There is no such thing as having too much saw when it comes to roughing out staves. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline karaterick

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 07:05:20 pm »

I have a decent amount of room. Money is my biggest obstacle. I could swing a new 9" or 10" band saw or possibly used 12", but would have to find a great deal on that.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »
I would save my money till I found a deal on the 14" saw.  I have a couple band saws and I use them regularly.  One is a craftsman 10" and I put the widest blade that would fit on it and it really isn't enough saw for roughing out staves, in my opinion.  If you are cutting laminations it would do,  I guess.  I use mine for string nocks and arrow nocks and small detail work.  I have a 14" saw that is my "go to" saw for roughing out a bow.  I don't think a table saw is a bad investment either.  I use the table saw a lot.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline karaterick

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:40:03 pm »
I would save my money till I found a deal on the 14" saw.  I have a couple band saws and I use them regularly.  One is a craftsman 10" and I put the widest blade that would fit on it and it really isn't enough saw for roughing out staves, in my opinion.  If you are cutting laminations it would do,  I guess.  I use mine for string nocks and arrow nocks and small detail work.  I have a 14" saw that is my "go to" saw for roughing out a bow.  I don't think a table saw is a bad investment either.  I use the table saw a lot.

Am I in the same position if I bought a table saw - that I'd have to get a larger more expensive one anyway? Or with a table saw can I do more with less?

Offline Roy

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »
I wouldn't rush into this too fast, keep watching the paper or craigs list. Grizzly tools has a pay me later deal, you have 6 months interest free if the total amount is paid off within the 6 months. This saw is $624.00 delivered. In my opinion you are better off buying a good saw that will last you for years and do any job you need done, than spending less and getting less of a tool.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw/G0555LX

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 08:59:23 pm »
I wouldn't rush into this too fast, keep watching the paper or craigs list. Grizzly tools has a pay me later deal, you have 6 months interest free if the total amount is paid off within the 6 months. This saw is $624.00 delivered. In my opinion you are better off buying a good saw that will last you for years and do any job you need done, than spending less and getting less of a tool.

Yep, I agree.  Get what you need the first time, otherwise you will still be looking for a saw. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline karaterick

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:14 pm »
Good advice! Thanks everyone!

Offline rps3

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 12:54:20 am »
I just bought a new 14" 1hp shop fox with cast iron wheels for 500 bucks. This saw is awesome. I have had a few used ones. My older 12" 1 1/8 hp craftsman was good enough, but I dont see it lasting too long as cheaply as it is made. If I were to do it again, I would have stuck with a hatchet until I could have bought a new one.

Offline hatcha

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 10:04:43 am »

Nice saw!!  You think Grizzly would ship to Ireland?  :D :D