Author Topic: Quarter sawn hickory lumber,... ...where to find it?  (Read 12258 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Quarter sawn hickory lumber,... ...where to find it?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 10:45:40 am »
I found I got better cuts for backings after I made a feather board to hold the board tightly against the fence. It makes all the difference. I also use it to make my first cut on bamboo. I can usually cut it thin enough to the point it is completely flat on the belly so I don't have to sand as much off. You will love the Grizzly when it comes in. I do.

I've used the rockler thin rip jig before for that reason. A feather might work better though, as if the board is not perfectly square with the thin rip jig, it can get stuck halfway through a cut.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
Hmmmm.....sounds like another tool I need to add to my arsenal. :P
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 11:59:37 am »
Hmmmm.....sounds like another tool I need to add to my arsenal. :P

It worked good for me using nicely milled and planned lumber, but rough sawn stuff it did not work too good.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 10:57:12 pm »
It's a lot easier to rip them on a bandsaw if you have 2 people - one to feed the board and keep it aligned straight, and another to be the "control" guy, to give directions and use both hands to keep the board tight to the fence.

Also if you rip that into 2 or 3 wider strips first, the smaller pieces will be a lot more manageable. 

Not saying it can't be done by yourself, but it's a lot easier with 2!  Find yourself a helper monkey and you'll end up with less waste and straighter cuts (which also means less sanding!)

mikekeswick

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 03:10:28 am »
Thats what the majority of large suppliers are like. In a way it's understandable when you look at it from their point of view. Next time you go bear in mind that big suppliers are used to selling large amounts in one go. When somebody asks to look through the whole stack for one board be ready for the roll of the eyes. Keeping them sweet with a few beers has worked for me and they now move stuff about for me. It's human nature to be lazy  :)
Hickory costs about $80 for a 5 x 1 1/2 to 2 inch board 7 foot long........and there is little choice....

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 09:55:22 pm »
Fortunately for me all the guys that work at the local trim shop love seeing all my bows that I bring with me when I come in looking for wood. They HELP me look for straight grained wood :)

charlie636

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 02:50:58 am »
You are near a big city so there must be a hardwood lumber yard somewhere. Quarter sawn Hickory is fine by the way so if you find it and like the grain buy it. Two weeks ago I picked up a Hickory 1" X 6" 8 foot long at a local Hardwood Yard. I pawed through about twenty boards and found a beautiful one. Cost me $6.00.
I like Hickory Boards for making bows. I really can't fell a tree and split into staves in the city. Besides boards are so much eaiser to work with.
Good Luck

Offline ohiocountryboy

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 04:59:46 am »
Woodcraft out by basspro has damn near any wood you'd hope to find, domestic and tropical. .

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 02:35:20 pm »
Any saw mill or lumber yard that has flat sawn hickory will by nature have SOM equarter sawn.   The cuts from teh middle of the tree if flat sawn will be quarter sawn.  Quartersawing a whole log is time consusming and so most tend not to do it.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 03:57:48 pm »
Woodcraft out by basspro has damn near any wood you'd hope to find, domestic and tropical. .

They moved, I used to go there. They moved to out in springdale, out by sears the the mall and all that. I went there the other day, I think they are moving again... I wish they would just stay put for 2 seconds.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »
Fortunately for me all the guys that work at the local trim shop love seeing all my bows that I bring with me when I come in looking for wood. They HELP me look for straight grained wood :)

Lucky!, :). That is good idea though, maybe I will bring a couple with me next time!