Author Topic: Quarter sawn hickory lumber,... ...where to find it?  (Read 12259 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Quarter sawn hickory lumber,... ...where to find it?
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:16:30 pm »
Anybody know where I can find some nice quarter sawn hickory lumber? I am in the cincinnati ohio area.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline kevinsmith5

Re: Quarter sawn hickory lumber,... ...where to find it?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:10:45 pm »
Try a custom trim shop. It's where I get all my hardwoods.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 06:39:33 pm »
Buy a 2" thick flatsawn board (much easier to find than quartersawn) and rip to slats of 2" wide and with the desired thickness. Rift sawn is fine as well.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 06:44:25 pm »
Just did that with some hickry, easier to get several good boards that way as well :)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:37:19 am »
I agree with Darksoul, you'll get way more bang for your buck doing it that way, providing you have the tools to do it.  A thickness planer or preferably a thickness sander would help, but you might get by with just a belt sander to clean them up after cutting.  It would be hard to get an even thickness that way though.

I just bought a piece of white oak not long ago.  It was flat sawn, had pipe-straight grain on all 4 sides, and was just begging me to buy it and turn it into backing strips.  For a little over $50 I got enough to back 14 bows.  Last I checked I think 3 Rivers was selling hickory backing strips for $20 each!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »
Thank ya for the advice yall. Sounds like a plan. I just went to a custom trim shop this morning Kevin, by the way, with plans to pick up some quarter sawn hickory. Drove a good bit too, had to get a ride even because I don't have a license right now. Walked right the frick out without buying nothin, guy was an absolute jerk. Pissed my morning all up. I will check out my local sources for a good flatsawn piece of hickory with straight grain on the sides (which is what I am looking for I am guessing, right?). Sounds like a plan. Thank ya for the advice yall, as always, it is very much appreciated. (And hopefully, once in a blue moon, put to good use,  ;))

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »
I got some nice 1/4 sawn white oak at a local sawmill and next time they get hickory in there going to cut me out some they were real nice guy. I have talk to some that were real butte too
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:04:17 pm »
I got some nice 1/4 sawn white oak at a local sawmill and next time they get hickory in there going to cut me out some they were real nice guy. I have talk to some that were real butte too

Naw, the guy I talked to on the phone was someone selling the hickory for someone else. So when I got there it was some other guy. I told the previous guy I need straight grain no run out lengths of about 7 to eight feet. I get there and the guy does not want to let me look through the stack, he wants me to buy hundreds of boards without looking at them. If I don't buy the whole stack I can't have any he says. The stack is probably 500 boards, around 4 or 5 inch wide, 5/8" deep, and 12 to 15 feet long. Keep in mind I am in a plymouth grand voyager van. There is one board on top that looks great, every other board on the top of the stack has knots and run off so bad I can't use it. I told the guy on the phone I need straight grain quarter sawn with no knots or I can't use it. The guy I am dealing with now assures me that about every board under the ones on top are nice and straight "if he recalls". I finally convince him to let me look through the stack, which he decides to charge me more for, even though he is still not happy about it in the least, and find that I can't use barely any of it due to knots and run off. As I am looking through the boards, I am setting boards down on one end of the stack, and setting ones down on the floor that look useable. As I am doing that, he tells me "Every board you set down the on the floor, you just bought". I just got pissed and left after that. It pisses me off when people talk to me that like, the guy told me it was wasting his time to cut the ends off of the boards I was gonna buy anyway, I would of cut them myself, the guys wasting my time and gas, just drove 60 miles for nothing, to give him money. And what did he expect me to do with 15 foot board that I can't fit in my van. I mean, I was gonna buy the entire board, and cut the ends off of the board with a handsaw, so I could fit it in my van. And he was peeved about that. Guy was a jerk. I always run into people like that.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:08:56 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 10:09:08 am »
Well I took everybodys advice, and picked me up some 8/4 flatsawn hickory. Once again, the guys there were aggravated I wanted to look at a couple boards before I bought them, which was even more aggravating to me. Told me "it probably won't happen again", haha, we'll see about that!  >:D I haven't even got a peak at their 6/4 yet! Anyway, thank yall for the advice, it appears this stuff will work nicely. The stuff ain't perfect I got, one end has a bit of run off, but for the most part they are pretty nice for about 80". I am thinking I will get about 70 backings (estimating low) for about 110 bucks. Thanks for the advice.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:13:40 am by toomanyknots »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 10:15:15 am »
Yeah, that grain looks pretty straight from here! Do you rip your backings with a band saw or table saw? Since I got my Grizzly, I have been getting pretty good results on the band saw.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:10 am »
Yeah, that grain looks pretty straight from here! Do you rip your backings with a band saw or table saw? Since I got my Grizzly, I have been getting pretty good results on the band saw.

I just ordered me a grizzly to replace my sorry 1/3 hp craftsman. I am hoping it will be here Wednesday, :). I have an in-feed support thingy setup I made using a rolling pin, haha. I am going to be buying a woodslicer resaw blade for it. Anybody know a better resaw blade than the woodslicer? It seems to dull real fast...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:21:18 am by toomanyknots »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:19:56 am »
Well, if you are looking at board stock for selfbows all 3 board cuts will work equally as well. The disadvantage to 1/4 is the edge grain must be completely straight  tip to tip with no run offs. The face also needs to be straight. Hard to fine.  Flat and rift allow some run outs. 2 per limb for 50#.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 10:22:16 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
I found I got better cuts for backings after I made a feather board to hold the board tightly against the fence. It makes all the difference. I also use it to make my first cut on bamboo. I can usually cut it thin enough to the point it is completely flat on the belly so I don't have to sand as much off. You will love the Grizzly when it comes in. I do.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 10:29:38 am »
I just saw your revised post. When I ordered my saw, I got a 4 tpi resaw blade with it from Grizzly which is what I use pretty much for everything. It leaves some saw marks, but handles the 2 in wide cuts pretty easily. There is a company called Wolf something or other that is supposed to have really good blades where I will probably get my next one.