Author Topic: Lowes Western Red Cedar fence rail  (Read 9502 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Lowes Western Red Cedar fence rail
« on: April 11, 2013, 11:02:00 pm »
So I was goofing around in the local Lowes today when I found some really nice fence rails that were normally $9 on sale for $0.65 each.  I needed some cedar for making striker pegs for slate turkey calls and thought a rail would last me for a few thousand strikers.  So I picked one out.  It's well over 6 ft long and has a half inch of sapwood over some really fine heartwood.  It's also rail straight and just over an inch and a half wide....I picked the straightest one from the lot.

So I got to thinking about reducing the sapwood to about an eighth of an inch and trying to make a lightweight bow from it.  Kinda in the ELB profile, but rectangular in cross section. 

Anyone ever futz around with this stuff?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

Re: Lowes Western Red Cedar fence rail
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »
JW, you sound like a new guy. Everybody knows western cedar aint good for nuthin.

Ok, seriously, the only western cedar I have ever seen was a creamish color, no red. I would be interested in seeing a pic? I am guilty of buying a cedar board from lowes as well, 10 ft long straight grain, no knots... but found it to be so soft, I will use it for another project. What do you call lightweight by the way?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:07 pm »
i would slap a rawhide backing or hickory on it before i would even start using it for bowwood. and it just seems like it would be too brittle to actually withstand the forces it would need to take, 10-20 maybe 30 lb bows could be made hypothetically speaking, but i wouldnt really care to do so. if you think you could get something out of it, you should go for it.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:51 pm »
Something around 30-35 lbs draw weight.  Something ladylike and pretty.

I have some cream colored silk that would match the color of the sapwood, so backing is certainly in the cards, too.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 11:15:51 pm »
Hmmmmm.... JW, you wanna make a bow lady like and pretty... 30-35 lb ish. Dont use that, use something proper. I have a bit of black cherry I can send ya ifn you pay shipping...

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:21:47 pm »
Nah, I kinda want that sapwood/heartwood thingy going on.  The intended recipient is of English extraction and is into the whole SCA thingy.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »
Post pics bud, I wanna see this one.

Offline half eye

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 11:23:59 pm »
Jw, since I know ya made just a couple of bows ::) and seein as how that wood was invading yer brain with bow thoughts.....my money is on you. Ya know I would probably try that, but hell I'm crazy, dont ya know?  I will bet you CAN make a bow from it. 8)
rich

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:23 pm »
Of course a bow can be made of it.  For that matter, I think I will make one from a green ponderosa sapling this summer.  :o

That being said, I'm hoping someone chimes in with experience with this wood so that I can dial back my expectations or narrow down the options for design from the limitations of the wood.  I'm so tight, I hate wasting a 65 cent fence rail that I'm still gonna get a hundred turkey call striker pegs out of anyway!

Yeah, I'm tight...scrooge-like, even.  Heck, I refuse to fart unless I'm alone because I don't wanna share!

UserNameTaken

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 11:59:08 pm »
I've been wondering if trapping the back of a western red cedar bow and backing it might produce results.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 12:04:50 am »
Good question, UNT.  Or would reverse trapping help because the wood is fairly brittle?  A wider back and a narrower belly?

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 12:09:14 am »
Intresting this topic came up. I am thinking a 45 lb eastern red cedar backed with hickory. I have a cople of near stove pipe straight staves that I could take the back off of and glue it to some ERC for the handle/belly.
Go 4 it and let us all know how it works.
Greg

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 12:21:15 am »
  Heck, I refuse to fart unless I'm alone because I don't wanna share!
I am definitely going to use that one when the time is right :)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2013, 01:27:19 am »
I made a bow from WRC.  Years ago.  It was 52" long, 2 inches wide, rawhide backed, bend through the handle.  More like bind only in the handle.  ::)  Anyway, that puppy held together for a good 300 shots, and it shot like a sunofagun.  But than it blew to smithereens.

So. What I'm saying is, it can probably be done at the weight you are interested in.  I think WRC and sinew would be a good match.  Look for very tight growth rings.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline autologus

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 01:47:56 am »
Back it with some Dog Bone rawhide, that stuff is thick enough to hold it together.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.