Author Topic: Looking to learn...  (Read 2401 times)

Offline skorpdogg

Looking to learn...
« on: April 09, 2013, 05:06:25 pm »
Hello everyone. I am located in upstate NY, Rochester area. I'm looking for someone or a group that does primitive bow making. I'm looking for a class, a workshop, anything that teaches that skill. My wife and I are very interested and patient people, and are good students. Please let me know if anyone has any information about this.

Thank you.

Offline TacticalFate

Re: Looking to learn...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »
Only two places I know of that have bow workshops would be Primitve Pursuits in Ithaca and WayKeeper Primitive School in Pompey, NY, both are about 2 hours away from Rochester.

I live in Syracuse for the school year.

But, it would be much cheaper to just learn on your own, and you'll get all the help you need here :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 07:46:42 pm by TacticalFate »

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 06:26:03 pm »
there are some bowyers on this site in New York, don't know where exactly but they will probably pipe up if they see this, good luck
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 06:32:48 pm »
Start by reading  the build alongs. Pyramid bow by bubby is a good one for beginners. Post questions and read the answers. There's always someone to help here! "Pearldrums"  just walked a fella through step by step with pictures all the way. Very patient and generous of spirit of him. George Tsoukalas also has a link to his site here somewhere.  Wouldn't hurt to post any relivent info such as woodworking knowledge ,experience and tools you might have so people know where to start giving info. Someone else ,close to you may also be on here and willing to meet with you. Great site with lots of info. Good luck!

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 08:31:53 pm »
Sent ya another PM Skorp. If ya make to the Hawkeye shoot this August, I'll be happy to meet up with you there. I'm no master, but I know the ropes okay. There are a ton of great bowyers that are much better than I am though within a 6 hour drive or so.
Maybe some of them will pipe up.

Jon

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:46:59 pm »
I'll be at letchworth stone tool show through Saturday morning the third weekend of August. I always bring some staves and shaving horse stop by. Probably not enough time for a full bow but I can give pointers and or answer any questions.

Bill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:39:28 am »
Also Hawkeye is having a spring thaw,check out the event section,lot of good bowyers at that event also,I would think you are pretty close. Welcome and lots here are more than willing to help any way we can.Just jump right in. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline skorpdogg

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:14 pm »
Thanks everyone! I've been away for a little bit, and I just wanted to say thanks for all the help and suggestions.