Author Topic: What's your FPS?  (Read 24866 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: What's your FPS?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 11:56:55 am »
I've had this discussion before and am glad to see polite discussion said here.It really is just a testing tool.Each to his own.I own one myself but like was said I can tell by shooting and feel if I have a sweet shooter.Seems like once made the others follow.That's what's important to me.To add to this discussion what comes with it is a very quiet quiet bow.It's all about efficiency.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 11:59:14 am »
Yes crwjr ,that sound respectful to me, Like I said I haven't shot through one in years,I have 2 but they are dust covered,nothing wrong with it at all but like Pat sometimes it will hurt you feelings and it shouldn't, is all I am saying.I may pull one out and clean it up for the Classic and let people see what theirs will do. One thing I know is you really have to watch folks shooting them to be sure they represent them right,they will over draw most times just like they do when they shoot the long distance shoot. If they say 50@26 be sure they draw 26 and it is 50.  :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 12:00:53 pm »
I'm a total nerd and tend to try and isolate every variable and track every metric.  FPS is just another form of feedback that shows you how everything is fitting together.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 12:04:12 pm »
Not trying o hijack this thread[which I am but sue me] Pappy I'm a coming to your classic soon. What kind of distance shot or clout shoot you got?I like watching those arrows fly....LOL.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 12:09:11 pm »
All depends on the weather,we try to have a long distance Elk or something like that,this year we are planing on flying disks.All depends on the weather forcast,usually rains at least some. Sorry for the hijack also. No carry on. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 12:14:30 pm »
Sounds Tony Tiger great!!!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:00 pm »
Art I agree some will frown, but I plan on building a hunting bow and I like to know my speed and weight to get a good penetrating set up for human kills. I'm going for a double lung pass through :)
So I have no problem using one for some good ol info.

Human kills ROFL  >:D  >:D  >:D

Remind me to stay away from you  :o

Funniest thing I've read on here in awhile! :laugh:
1’—>1’

Offline autologus

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »
Art I agree some will frown, but I plan on building a hunting bow and I like to know my speed and weight to get a good penetrating set up for human kills. I'm going for a double lung pass through :)
So I have no problem using one for some good ol info.

Make sure you use bodkins just in case they are wearing body armor.  >:D

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:27 pm »
i can remeber when I first got into bow making 6yrs ago and I wanted to see how fast my hickory bow was. I took it to the range and ran it through a couple times and my hi was 150 and average was around 130. Release is key. Now I don't worry about it much. I can tell which bows shoot faster and the key is where you put the arrow. a well placed shot and a sharp broadhead is what puts meat in the freezer and thats all I care about.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Holten101

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 02:07:38 pm »
"Holten,
Sounds like you have tinkered a bit with fps. I don't think its the end all but whats the recipie for getting a fast shooter. I have made 6 bows so far and one thing I have noticed is keeping the tips narrow seems to help.
Thanks,
Greg"

Narrow tips, no or little set (I aim for 1" reflex in my straight stave long/flat bows when shot in), heat treatment and trapped back. As of now I havent been able to consistenly make lever bows faster than pyramids, but my fastest WAS a leverbow.

Most important to me was is learning the type of wood you use....after having made 20+ wych elm bows I start getting a feel for the wood....how far I can go and how to use its qualities best. So my advice is sticking to one species and learn that species.

Cheers

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 02:38:32 pm »
  I don't use the chronos much anymore unless I am trying to figure out which bow I should use for a flight competition. For several years I used them dailey. They don't mean much unless you have refined your approach to using them. I have one draw and release I would use in a target or hunting situation that I might get about 160 fps, another draw and release that would more closely imitate a shooting machine and the same bow might hit 175, if I just want to see what I can get out and I really wind up with an active release the same bow might hit 190 fps. It is also very important as pappy said to monitor bow weight, draw length and arrow weight. For every 10 grains of arrow weight up or down you will loose or gain about 1 1/2 fps. I was at the walk the talk one year which is a bow testing event that uses a shooting machine and meticulously weighed arrows and measured draw lengths. The winning bow shot 10 grains per pound at 194 fps drawing 28" ( Glass longbow)  I wanted to see how fast I could shoot it by hand using the same draw length and was able to crank out 221 fps. That being said it is good to know about what you are shooting your hunting arrows at using your normal draw and release. As long as it is sufficient you are good to go. You will also get a feel for how consistent you are building your bows.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 02:54:10 pm »
Steve, if you can swing up to 30 fps based on release, than bows that other guys are shooting in the 190 fps range at 10 gpp, might be able to pass the 200 fps mark right now  giving a quick release?  Is that true?

Gabe

Humboldt County CA.

Offline Badger

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »
 Gabe, I can hit 200 with an active release on occassion but don't consider it a true measure of bow performance. I can't average 30 fps usually about 18 if I am really pushing it, every once in a while I will hit it just right and get over 25 fps extra. If you test a lot you can kind of teach yourself to match the shooting machine. I would never report a bow speed on a wound up release. I know a lot of guys who cheat themselves by short drawing and letting the string slip off of the stretched out fingers. The bows they are testing will often test 15 fps better than they are reporting on a fair test.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 10:10:18 pm »
The biggest problem I had using a chrony was the way I had to change my release. I ve never worried about what the arrow passes THROUGH any time other than shooting over a chrony. I know it's not my normal release, so I don't trust the numbers....

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:14 am »
I have never shot one of my bows through a chrony, but would like to. What say we set one up at the classic so the MEN in the group can shoot through it, We'll let the LADY'S retrieve the arrows! ;D ;D ;D
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.