Author Topic: Band Saw Or Table Saw For Board Rough Outs??  (Read 3638 times)

Offline karaterick

Band Saw Or Table Saw For Board Rough Outs??
« on: April 06, 2013, 10:45:00 pm »

Ok. I only have about $150 to spend so I need to know whether a band saw or table saw is better suited for roughing out board bows. I will be using primarily red oak and hickory.

I am not looking to go the most minimalistic approach. I'll get minimalistic maybe when I start using staves, but right now I just want an efficient way to get my board to close to bow dimensions. I rather enjoy taking my time in shaving the wood, sanding and tillering, but not the rough out.

Please keep in mind I only have about $150 so I'm probably only looking at a 9" - 10" band saw or whatever comparably priced table saw is available.

Thanks

Offline DavidV

Re: Band Saw Or Table Saw For Board Rough Outs??
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:24:30 pm »
Get a bandsaw, it'll be more versatile than a table saw especially if you get into backings and trilams.
Springfield, MO

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:34:08 pm »
go on craigslist. You might find both for a $150. For brand new 150 won't go far.

Offline karaterick

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 12:09:28 am »
Nothing on my local CL right now. I figure the thickest boards I'd be running through it are not much more than an inch. If a $150 saw isn't going to handle that I may have to wait.

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:36:38 am »
I'd agree about going with a band saw.  I use mine a lot more frequently than I thought I would for bows and other projects around the house.  My dad is a cabinet maker, so I can use his table saw but I really don't very often for bows.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 12:50:58 am »
Bandsaw for sure. Some people do use table saws to cut freehand, with out a fence, but it is considered extremely dangerous, due to kickback and potential loss of fingers.

Hamish.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:20:36 am »
I use both, but a bandsaw is more versatile, I got my bandsaw at a yardsale for $50, 14"er
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline karaterick

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:38:22 am »
 So would a 9" band saw work for 1" - 1 1/2" depth cuts? Also, I realize that band saw is the consensus and I trust your opinions, but I am having trouble visualizing why it's so much better than a table saw. I'm new to this. Can anyone explain why? What are the differences?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:41:36 am by karaterick »

Offline okie64

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 09:28:36 am »
A bandsaw will make much more precise cuts and is a lot less dangerous to operate. I use a tablesaw every day at work and it still gives  me a good scare every now and then. There are a lot of things a tablesaw cant do, such as cutting in your fades or an arrow shelf. The only thing a tablesaw would be better for would be ripping backing strips and such. More fingers and hands are lost to tablesaws than all other tools combined.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 09:37:13 am »
Look for a 14" bandsaw , it will handle staves when you start on them. Everyone says at least one horse power motor but if it's belt driven you can up the horsepower later.
With the bandsaw you can rip bigger boards down ( say you went by a sawmill and they are ripping oaks or hickory down for pallet boards about four inches thick a bandsaw would handle them ) .

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 09:47:49 am »
Did my first few bows on the table saw since that was all I had. Finally spent around a hundred bucks on a 9" bandsaw but all the cuts looked like the ocean since the blade width was limited. I gave it to my son when I got the 14" Grizzly. If I had only $150, I would get the table saw as you can rip wider lumber into bow width strips, rip backer strips, and, if you take your time, you can do your tapers on there too. Besides, you need a table saw to follow Bubby's excellent build a long. If you happened to luck up on a 14" band saw for $150, that would be the ticket, but you might have to wait a while.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 10:37:54 am »
Low hp motors are useless for bows. Unfortunately the motors that come with 9" bandsaws are around 1/4 hp. You'll need 1 hp motor. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline randman

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 06:19:33 pm »
If you can only buy 1 power saw then my first choice would be (was) a bandsaw. Much more versatile for any kind of woodwork (not just bows). You can do just about anything on a bandsaw you can do on a tablesaw (except for cutting wide flat panels and dados and such) and some things you can't do on a tablesaw.
And like George said, get one with enough horsepower.
Tablesaws are also very dangerous if you don't have experience with them. I even seen very experienced table saw operators get bit (and/or clobbered) by them. I have a serious respect for mine and only use it for stuff no other saw will do (doesn't include roughing out bows). I'll use hand tools and a hatchet before I even think about using a table saw for any bow work.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline ScottN

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 07:33:50 pm »
if you decide to get a bandsaw, consider upgrading the blade. A lot of people purchase Timberwolfs. http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/   The cutting difference between these & the stock blades that come with the bandsaw are night and day!
...take me away...from the place I've been...          ...to another life...in another world...

Offline Squirrelslayer

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 07:49:42 pm »
 For roughing out bows I would get a bandsaw. But im hoping to get a small table saw for my birthday to cut some laminations. SS
WARNING: posts may contain nuts.

http://squirrelslayers.forumshome.com/ - check out my forum, and if you like what you see... Join!

also on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/cj822100?feature=mhee