Author Topic: The Most Beautiful Kindling I've Ever Made  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Christian Soldier

The Most Beautiful Kindling I've Ever Made
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:42:35 pm »
Hey yall. As probably everyone here knows, you win some, you loose some. This was something of a 'fixer upper' bow that I made from a Black Walnut log that I hacked into pretty hard with a hatchet over most of its length (long story), so I tried to chase a few rings and get a clean back on the bow. Unfortunately I couldn't really see the rings that well and I did get one side pretty perfect but the lower limb had a few nicks across the grain (this is bad). I continued on anyway doing my best to sand out any imperfections, getting the tiller as best I could and polishing the back. I shot it a few dozen times yesterday with no worries. Then today I put some linseed oil on it and it was beautiful.
However, as I was drawing for a F/D pic, the back couldn't take the stress anymore and it blew.  :o  :-[  >:(  ??? I had all of those feelings in about a second and then I was just okay with it. Its not the first bow I've broken and it won't be the last. Cussing and pouting won't put my bow back together. So, I went inside, put the pieces in the corner, and grabbed a new hickory stave with a clean back.  :)

Anyway, This bow was gorgeous before it broke, here are some pics. The Pics are a little big but if you go to 'View' in your tool bar and turn the zoom down to 75% you can see the full picture. Then just change it back when you are done.

And the break...

Its pretty dissapointing putting 40+ hours into a piece of what is now just firewood. But, hey, if it was the easy path, than everyone would take it. I know the broad path isn't for me so I'll endure and keep on making. Stay tuned, there'll be a hickory short bow up in a week or so.  :)
2nd Timothy 2:3 "Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus."

Offline wildcat hunter

Re: The Most Beautiful Kindling I've Ever Made
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:51:56 pm »
 I love Walnut- thats a beautiful bow ( was ). Shame, try again?

Offline DuBois

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:04:44 pm »
Sorry to see it CS, it was looking real good.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:14:43 pm »
That sucks man. Sorry things didn't work out this time
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline hatcha

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21:05 pm »
Shame on the break.

Maybe you could keep the good limb, get another black walnut billet, make a matching limb and splice the handle - or more probably, affect some form of two-piece take-down?

Be a shame to waste it all...

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:06:50 am »
I have another BW stave that's about 67" long (The sister stave) that I'll probably try again with in a couple months.

I haven't done this before, but I'll probably back that one with hickory to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen.

I might be able to get some knock overalys out of the handle, but other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do with just half a bow.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 11:29:00 am »
 Beautiful grain and character. I hope you try another one. I like your attitude, I would have been so disappointed.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:34:07 am »
Ouch!!!

That was a good lookin piece of walnut....  maybe to much heart and not enough sapwood???

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 11:56:34 am »
Thats a shame, was a real good looking bow. Sometimes bows are just gonna do that, disappointing but hey there is more wood in
the forest right. Hope to see your next walnut bow succeed. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 12:11:26 pm »
Damn man that is a beautiful bow sucks that it broke I really like the design you used on it
I like osage

Offline osagejack

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:34 pm »
that was a great looking bow,,i have never used walnut,,i have seen some really nice bows but they were mostly sapwood

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 01:47:12 pm »
She was looking real nice. Rawhide backing would give you some back protection.
The only BW bows I've made were mostly sapwood(under the bark) with a trace of heartwood in the handle except for one boo backed BW that fretted to the backing on the bottom limb. A thin hickory backing should work fine for BW but I hate the thought of decrowning a perfectly good stave just to add backing strip.  That's just me.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 01:53:14 pm »
I have another BW stave that's about 67" long (The sister stave) that I'll probably try again with in a couple months.

I haven't done this before, but I'll probably back that one with hickory to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen.

I might be able to get some knock overalys out of the handle, but other than that, there's not a whole lot you can do with just half a bow.

atlatl!
wild women don't get the blues

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 05:54:58 pm »
Pat, I didn't even think of rawhide! I might try that on the next one I've got some pretty thick rawhide that'll need to be sanded down but it'll probably be a lot easier than shaping a hickory back and decrowning a stave with knots in it.

I'll look into that. I've got some thinking to do before I start on the next stave. Its certanately a beautiful wood and I'd like to keep as much as the heart wood as I can. Thanks.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:58 pm »
Man... Sorry to see it Break...

Miss Sadiejane You Said IT!!!
AtlAtl!!!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX