Author Topic: what glue to use?  (Read 3625 times)

Offline 4giveme

what glue to use?
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:14:32 am »
Hi All,
I am getting ready to sinew a bow and i was thinking about changing it up a little.
I normally use tite-bond 2 or 3 to apply the sinew. However I am hearing that this type of glue does not allow the sinew to work to its full potential.
So as an alternative I was going to use knox gelatin, is this a good choice? Your thoughts are welcome.
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

blackhawk

Re: what glue to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:22:45 am »
Use hide glue,and yes Knox gelatin is hide glue...if only them jello loving dirty hippy tree hugging peta member vegetarians knew ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:38:56 am »
Give the knox a try and see what you think. Now that you have used TBIII you will be able to form an experienced opininon for yourself. Im a hide glue lover myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:40:55 am »
I haven't used the knox on sinew, but have used it with great success on rawhide and snake skins.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 09:16:17 am »
Hide glue.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 10:29:03 am »
The knox will work fine, I have used it several times.  I prefer my home made hide glue though.  Make sure you degrease the back of your bow before backing it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:17:36 pm »
I will double-down on what Osage Outlaw just said.  Especially the part about degreasing the back of the bow.  If you used ANY oil on the bow while doing heat corrections I'd even go so far as to get a can of oven cleaner and spray that on the bow, let it sit a while and then wash with hot water.  Then I'd mis a little baking soda in water and rinse the bow again with that to finish the clean up.

Unflavored gelatin is just fine, not a problem.  When rendering plants are breaking down all the leftover stuff that they don't even want for making hot dogs, the best and finest of the hide glue goes to the gelatin trade.  It's colorless, odorless, and flavorless.  #2 grade goes to high end book binders and instrument makers.  Furniture grade is somewhere around #4 grade.  Yeah, sometimes I look at a sinew backed bow and think of it as Jello Jigglers With Fiber!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:03 pm »
Hey hide glue all the way!!!!!!!Nothing like it.A person can figure out a good way to weatherproof it.Like PD said you can compare it.I'd presoak your sinew in water too before putting it in the sinew soup.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:18:12 am »
Howdy,  I vote for hide glue, too.  Knox is an easily used version. I second everyone else's suggestions and would also suggest one application of thin glue as a sizing.  Also, don't have the glue too hot when dipping the sinew!  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 10:22:18 am »
Thanks Ron,
What ratio of water to Knox is best?
4giveme
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

"There are only two things we can't change, yesterday and tomorrow. So let's live in the moment and make the best choices we can right now."

Unknown author.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 04:11:39 pm »
Use hide glue,and yes Knox gelatin is hide glue...if only them jello loving dirty hippy tree hugging peta member vegetarians knew ;)

LOL!!! You crack me up, man!

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 05:39:06 pm »
Thanks Ron,
What ratio of water to Knox is best?
4giveme

2 ounces of water to each individual packet...you want a consistency of light syrup( the real kind of syrup,n none of that thick nasty fat aunt jemima crap) ;)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 11:16:22 pm »
I'm more partial to Mrs Butterworth's.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 12:02:57 am »
Apple syrup is the best.   I never measure the water for glue though, just add a little water to soften and heat.   Add more to achieve the right consistency.  For sizing bare wood it can be almost watery.  For dipping sinew bundles a "light syrup" consistency is a good description.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline 4giveme

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2013, 08:21:09 am »
thanks guys
God bless and thanks,
Tommy

Unknown author.